News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

FSB medals for merit

TacHel

The FSB (ex KGB) produces incredibly beautiful awards for merit (nice to have a president now prime-minister that was in the service I guess). There are more awards, but these 7 are the nicer ones.

They are from left to right (top row):

-Medal for Merit in the Fight Against Terrorism (2005)

-Medal for Merit in Safeguarding Economic Security (2005)

-Medal for Merit in Counterintelligence (2004)

-Medal for Merit in Border Activity (2005)

-Medal for Merit in Investigations (2004)

Bottom row, a close up showing the exquisite detailing and "silicate enamels". All have the same inscription on the reverse: "Federal Security Service Russian Federation". Each award has a serial number etched in below this inscription.

Edited by TacHel

• 11 months later...

The seven medals above are all "FOR MERIT". The FSB has now issued a second series but this time "FOR DISTINCTION" that pretty much matches the above medals in colour and sub-departmental affiliation. They have a bit less enamels but are still attractive. The ribbons match in colour and differ by the addition of a second narrow coloured stripe near the right edge.

If the FSB follows the trend of other services, the medals For Merit would be bestowed to warrant-officers and officers and the medals For Distinction would go to soldiers, sergeants and master sergeants. I have yet to find their respective orders of institution though. If anybody has a link to FSB awards, I would be most grateful!

Medal For Distinction in Counterintelligence

Well, I've got good news and maybe not so good news...

All 7 medals For Merit (the really nice highly enameled ones) are pretty easy to find in Russia. Matter of fact I'm looking at the full set for sale going for $455 (USD). Do you know anybody in Moscow that could purchase them for you? I have NEVER seen one for sale outside of Russia. Individually they average $65 (USD).

As for the medals For Distinction (less enamels), the Border Management one pictured above is the only one I've seen for sale so far and also in Russia for $55 (USD).

• 8 months later...

I managed to get the whole set of the medals "For Distinction". :jumping:

They are, top left to bottom center...

Medal for Distinction in Intelligence

Medal for Distinction in Safeguarding Economic Security

Medal for Distinction in Counterintelligence

Medal for Distinction in Information Security

Medal for Distinction in the Fight Against Terrorism

Medal for Distinction in Border Management