News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Syria Medal Order of the Palestine - Israel War 1948

Linasl

Greetings All.

I have a medal that I believe is the Syria Medal Order of the Palestine - Israel War 1948, but I am not sure. I would appreciate AS MUCH information about this medal as possible; first verifying that my identification is correct, what specific organization issued it, who qualified to receive it, when it was created, who made it, etc. I was told by the seller it was made in France in 1951. Every tidbit of information will be useful.

I have attached a Low Resolution photo of the medal here on the forum, but I have two High Resolution Medals on PhotoBucket, at the following link:

http://s752.photobuc...he%20Palestine/

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

Take care. Linas

Greetings All.

I have a medal that I believe is the Syria Medal Order of the Palestine - Israel War 1948, but I am not sure. I would appreciate AS MUCH information about this medal as possible; first verifying that my identification is correct, what specific organization issued it, who qualified to receive it, when it was created, who made it, etc. I was told by the seller it was made in France in 1951. Every tidbit of information will be useful.

Take care. Linas

Hello Linas,

The only information I could add is that yes your identification of the medal is correct.

The inscriptions on the obverse are; on the left 1948 (AD) and Palestine on the right in Arabic script.

The Order was created on 18 December 1951 and awarded for bravery and service in the battles in Palestine in 1948 and 1949. It was awarded in very small number to Syrian personnel (estimated at approximately 8,000), serving in two infantry brigades, a mechanised battalion, and a very small air force.

The Order was produced by the Paris firm of Arthus Bertrand and has been seen contained in a plain paper envelope.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by RobW

Linas, Again a fairly common and cheap piece - seemy notes below, Regards, Owain.

Obverse A circular medal edged with a green enamel laurel wreath. In the centre a map of Palestine and the Jordan Valley with the inscription to the left and right, “Palestine 1948” At the top of the medal are two crossed scimitars between the blades of which is the dome of a mosque which is surmounted by a crescent. A church is superimposed upon the dome.

Reverse Blank.

Classes One.

Size 36mm diameter.

Metal Bronze.

Ribbon 37mm red with a 6mm white stripe inset 6mm from each edge.

Suspension By a loop soldered to the rear of the medal.

Instituted Legislative Decree No. 13 of the 18th of December, 1951.

This Order is awarded in commemoration of the various battles fought by the Syrian Army since 1948. It is awarded to soldiers and to civilians and also to foreigners who distinguish themselves during these conflicts. It may be awarded posthumously.

• 4 years later...

Igor,

I have seen one of these before and as the instituting Decree makes no reference to more than one grade of the Order, it may be a trial or specimen piece, but I have no evidence to support this.

Regards,

Owain

Paul, Rob above notes 8,000 troops, however the plain version of the medal is often seen at dealers or on Ebay. Indeed there is one for sale at the moment for $49.99. Regards, Owain .

Edited by oamotme