News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hoarce Pitt Kennedy Skipton -Indian Police Service

Here is a cabinet photograph from my collection that is also posted on my website.

HoraceSkipton.jpg

This photograph is inscribed on the reverse simply "Horace Skipton May 89" and identifying this photograph proved to be something of a mystery. I first assumed that he was a member of a rifle battalion but I was unable to find anyone by that name mentioned in the Army Lists serving in either the British or Indian armies for several years either before or after the date on the photograph.

As it turns out this man is in all likelihood Horace Pitt Kennedy Skipton who was member of the Indian Police Service from 1883 to 1899. While his uniform does indeed resemble that of a rifle battalion his being a member of the Indian Police Service would explain finding no mention of an officer by this name in the Army Lists.

According to the India List, Civil and Military for January 1888 Skipton was Director Superintendent of Police, 5th Class for Bilaspur.

After leaving the Indian Police Skipton returned to England and served in several high ranking positions in the clergy. He was the editor of several publications relating to the church and India as well as the author of several books on the same subjects.

Skipton was born in 1861 in Warwickshire, the son of Daniel Pitt Kennedy Skipton. He married Jessie Goodwin in 1890 and had a daughter named Gertrude and a son named Gervais. He died on 16 February, 1943.

First of all, congratulations on choosing an absolutely marvelous nom-de-guerre!

Do you or any other members know the origin / possible functional purpose of the drooping silk ribbons across the breast of this uniform? I've seen them before, but never have heard the origin.

Hugh

First of all, congratulations on choosing an absolutely marvelous nom-de-guerre!

Do you or any other members know the origin / possible functional purpose of the drooping silk ribbons across the breast of this uniform? I've seen them before, but never have heard the origin.

Hugh

Hugh,

I have no idea what those silk robbons/loops may have been called. I even consulted my copy of the British Dress Regulations for 1900 and it makes no reference to an actual name other than "loops of 2/3 inch black braid" describing similar decorations on the frock coats of the Household Cavalry. As to their possible origin again I am not sure but can assume with soem probilility that theydid have some functional origin at one point in time.

Edited by Peachy Carnehan

Hugh,

I have no idea what those silk ribbons/loops may have been called. I even consulted my copy of the British Dress Regulations for 1900 and it makes no reference to an actual name other than "loops of 2/3 inch black braid" describing similar decorations on the frock coats of the Household Cavalry. As to their possible origin again I am not sure but can assume with some probability that they did have some functional origin at one point in time.

I had the occasion to inspect them at close range once in a tailor shop in Rawalpindi, but they gave no clues. After a bit of rumination, I have hypothesized that they must be related to the frogs on hussars jackets, and originally buttoned across the front of the tunic as a closure. Over time, they just morphed into a completely useless decorative artifact.

Until someone contradicts me, I'm going with that answer.

Thanks,

Hugh

I'm sure Hugh's answer is correct, i.e. basically a very large button hole. This origin is most obvious in the patrol jackets of 4th and 11th Hussars, where the hanging part of the loop only appear on the left-hand side. In this case, it is easy to imagine this being stretched over to button on the opposite side.

In the military terminology of the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, a 'loop' was the accepted term for the braid surrounding a soldier's buttonhole, which would seem to confirm this interpretation.