News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi,

I hope someone out there can help.

My Grandfather died last week and he had served for many years in the Royal Navy (i believe right through WWII and for many years afterwards).

I've been given his trade badge but don't know what it represents.

I've searched high and low on the net and have been able to establish that he was a Petty Officer at the time he wore this badge but I've no idea what trade it is.

It's the letter 'R' placed centrally on the badge with four sparks shooting off, one to each corner and it has a 6 pointed star underneath it all. I assumed it was radar but have found pics of other radar trade badges that don't look like this. For all my searching i haven't seen another example like this anywhere.

Can anyone enlighten me? Also does anyone know where i can source good replica RN trade and rank badges?

Thanks

John

Thanks for your help!

I've attached scans of the badges (I assume one is just a smarter version of the other?)

I've also attached a pic of him which shows part of his medal ribbons and a stripe on his arm. Do you think you could identify any of them?

I've also scanned in an old photo of some sort of action but i have no other information. Do you know anyone who would know enough to hazard a guess at what it might be?

Thanks for your help again

Johnny

OK the badge makes sense now, you forgot to mention the crown above the device :lol: . I'm not that well up on Pinkies badges but I think this one would be passed for CPO indicated by the star below. He's a POREL in the photo, the branch was known as mechanics up to LREM and electricians as PO and above. Looks like a MiD oakleaf and I'll stick my neck out and say an Africa Star ribbon above it with a rosette for the 'North Africa 1942-43' clasp. In typical RN fashion of wearing them high up under the lapel I can't make anything else out.

The gold badge is for No1 uniform(optional on No2) and the red badge worn on No2, 3 and 4 dress. Worn on the right arm. The stripe is a Good Conduct Badge awarded for 4 years service, worn below his PO's badge.

Edited by Jim Maclean

The advancement through the branch is REM2, REM1, LREM, POREL, CREL. That's Radio Electrical Mechanic Class 2 & 1, Leading Radio Electrical Mechanic, Petty Officer Radio Electrician and Chief Radio Electrician.

Hope this helps a bit, it's biased towards my time in the 60s and 70s. WW2 designations may well vary.

I've just noticed a rum induced faux pas in an earlier post of mine that I can't edit. Just for forum historical accuracy the Radio Electrical branch wore the lightning bolts with the letter R in the centre. The Control Electrical branch wore CE and the Ordnance branch wore OE. The WAFUS sorry FAA have similar but with different letters, AR, AL I think but can't be sure.

Edited by Jim Maclean