News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Dolf,

I too have always loved that model as well as some of the earlier French vehicles from the 30's-50's period. :D

Thanks for posting them. Great little cars! Wish I could find one... saw them on occassion down in Florida. In fact, the biggest French restaurant over in Tallahassee has one I believe that they keep over at the restaurant... good advertising. :D

Thanks, :cheers:

Dan

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dolf,

I too have always loved that model as well as some of the earlier French vehicles from the 30's-50's period. :D

Thanks for posting them. Great little cars! Wish I could find one... saw them on occassion down in Florida. In fact, the biggest French restaurant over in Tallahassee has one I believe that they keep over at the restaurant... good advertising. :D

Dan

Dan,

Isn't it lovely, the 2 CV?...

Many years ago I made thousands of Kms all over Europe, part of Asia and Northern Africa in one (one of these posted here below, in fact, so could even sleep inside!) and it would go everywhere with it with no problem!

Better than the 2 CV only the Ferrari I guess... :D

Dolf

Hi Dolf,

Yes, they definitely have a charm all their own. Very similar to the VW Beetle in that regard. Of course, there's what we've driven since 1997:

IPB Image

It's a 1996 VW Golf Harlequin. They built about 20 some odd back in 1994, then another 200 in 1996 and that was it. Special colors only used on those vehicles. Believe it or not, ours has nearly 300,000 miles on it and runs like the wind! Been the best vehicle we've ever owned and believe me, we've owned quite a few from classics on up to new vehicles. We got this one new in 97 with only 175 miles on it. Been a great conversation piece and we've met folks from all around the country as no matter where we are people always want to stop, talk about the car, take pics, you name it! And you see people going down the road with a frown, they see it and all of a sudden they're smiling and having a good day! :D

Dan :cheers:

Dan,

Very nice car indeed!

And with beautiful colors! :beer:

Dolf

PS: I hope the fellow members who started this thread dedicated to the (also) beautiful Me 109 won't mind that we somehow have gone a bit... :off topic::blush::cheeky:

Edited by Dolf

Dan,

Very nice car indeed!

And with beautiful colors! :beer:

Dolf

Hi Dolf,

Many thanks! I'll pass that along to Kim as it's really her baby. On the colors since they were unique we've found that occassionally you'll see one that's all just one of those colors. It's a Harlequin that's been painted the base color! Like on ours it's that pistachio green color for the base.

What they did was they assembled them all one color and then disassembled them and switched all the body panels around. It's been such a fun car and I'm so glad we got one. I wish we could get one of the new Beatles done in that same paint scheme. And folks always know where we are if they need us. It's crime proof... who would steal it? They'd get about half a block! It's just been a terrific car. :cheers:

Dan

Hey, but as we speak of these old models, how to forget the Renault 4L? (Quite the same I drive, btw :P The only difference is that mine is from 89 and is kind of white ivory, and because the law demands it has 2 external rear view mirrors ;) )

Dolf :beer:

Edited by Dolf

Just found a pic from last year, when a friend (also member of this Forum btw ;) ) came to visit with his girlfriend. Here they are next to my old R 4L, with the Tagus river behind.

Dolf

Hey, but as we speak of these old models, how to forget the Renault 4L? (Quite the same I drive, btw :P The only difference is that mine is from 89 and is kind of white ivory, and because the law demands it has 2 external rear view mirrors ;) )

Dolf :beer:

My Mom loved her R 4 :love: She still mentions it from time to time. I had a R 5 as my first car, bright yellow with red mirrors and other details. Was a funny car, rusted like hell, but was a fun car. Unfortunately the axis broke in a curve as it was rusted through :speechless1:

The 2CV under the best 10 cars??? :cheeky: I guess, the jury never really drove one. There was a story around, that if you get this car to turn over in a curve, you?ll get a new one from Citroen, don?t know if that was true, but though...

Gerd

My Mom loved her R 4 :love: She still mentions it from time to time. I had a R 5 as my first car, bright yellow with red mirrors and other details. Was a funny car, rusted like hell, but was a fun car. Unfortunately the axis broke in a curve as it was rusted through :speechless1:

The 2CV under the best 10 cars??? :cheeky: I guess, the jury never really drove one. There was a story around, that if you get this car to turn over in a curve, you?ll get a new one from Citroen, don?t know if that was true, but though...

Gerd

Gerd,

As you may have noticed from my posts above the 2CV is my favorite car ever, I just happen to drive a 4L now for reasons too long to describe here.

Anyway, they didn't rate it under the best 10 cars, they placed it in 5th place or so, among the top 10. Underated anyway imho, but it was an American show, so... ;) The Ford T was considered #1 btw. Sure a great car but I never drove one or was even inside one... so the 2 CV is definetely my choice for #1 :love:

Btw, the story about turning it over in a curve I know the story but I thought it was about another Citro?n, the ID or the DS I think.

But I know from my own experience that it is almost impossible to turn over a 2 CV, no matter how fast you make a curve! Well, sure they never go as fast as a Ferrari, but still... :D

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Hi all,

I think that's the best thing about all such cars... they're FUN! :D Nothing stodgy about them... just plain, flat out fun. And they tend to make people smile and get happy really quick just seeing them go by.

Long may they drive! :cheers:

Dan

Hi all,

I think that's the best thing about all such cars... they're FUN! :D Nothing stodgy about them... just plain, flat out fun. And they tend to make people smile and get happy really quick just seeing them go by.

Long may they drive! :cheers:

Dan

Dan,

Well said! That'sw exactly that.

Do you believe that I can't tell which car is which today? They all look the same to me, no matter which manufacturer they come from... :blush:

Maybe that's just me, but... :blush:

Dolf

From Me 109's to 2CV's...how on earth did that happen? :cheeky::P:D

Dave,

I'm terribly sorry, I know we went off topic some time ago and even mentioned it in some Post above, but I guess I just couldn't avoid it... :blush::blush:

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I guess what Dan says "I'm guessing the Me 109 was a fun plane and goes along with these fun cars" is also entirely true... I still love the Me 109 a lot and it's still my favorite WWII fighter anyway... :D

Dolf :cheers:

Edited by Dolf

Dan,

Well said! That'sw exactly that.

Do you believe that I can't tell which car is which today? They all look the same to me, no matter which manufacturer they come from... :blush:

Maybe that's just me, but... :blush:

Dolf

Hi Dolf,

Thanks! :D And I totally agree. I tend to love the older cars... when they tended to have curves and chrome, the occassional fin, third headlight or other unusual feature. When they drove (or drive) down the street there is no mistaking them. They make a statement... I'm an individual and I drive a unique car. I leave the "same old, same old" cars to others.

The Lincoln Towncar they came out with a few years ago has nice curves and lines... very much on the verge of classic. I think that'll be a winner down the road as will the two or three specialty vehicles they've come out with around the same period. One that I wish they'd put into production was called the Chrysler Atlantic... a beautiful car with tons of curves... gorgious! Sadly it never went into full product but I think it would have been a winner.

I just get sticker shock all the time... cars running at or more than what my parents bought their new custom corner lot home for back in 1972. Guess I'm just showing my age as everyone jokes that I was born an old timer. :lol:

I remember them as something like a three wheeled fishbowl. ;)

Hi Bob,

Yeah... more or less. Although I always felt like they took the cabin part of the fuselage, added wheels, changed the controls in the "cockpit" to those of a car... very basic though, and off they went making cars.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

You can almost imagine putting wings, an aircraft engine and guns on this thing and going up against enemy aircraft. :rolleyes:

And actually quite a practical and clever way to switch over from their aircraft production to getting things back in gear in the German economy after the war.

Great pics Dan!!! :beer:

Dolf :cheers:

Hi Dolf,

Thanks! Sometimes Ebay comes in handy! :cheeky::lol::rolleyes:

Now... all someone needs to do is come up with the plane to go with it and get us back on track. :lol::beer:

Dan

Hi Dolf,

Thanks! Sometimes Ebay comes in handy! :cheeky::lol::rolleyes:

Now... all someone needs to do is come up with the plane to go with it and get us back on track. :lol::beer:

Dan

Is it for sale on eBay?!... Wow!

Amazing how we went from the Me 109 to the 2 CV and now almost back to the Messerschmitt again... :lol:

Dolf

Edited by Dolf

Is it for sale on eBay?!... Wow!

Amazing how we went from the Me 109 to the 2 CV and now almost back to the Messerchmitt again... :lol:

Dolf

Hi Dolf,

Yup... go to Ebay motors... search for Messerschmitt and it's right at the top... for the low, low price of... drumroll please :rolleyes: $21,300.00! Probably well worth it as it seems restored... but far, far too rich for my blood right now. :speechless1:

Hi Dolf,

Yup... go to Ebay motors... search for Messerschmitt and it's right at the top... for the low, low price of... drumroll please :rolleyes: $21,300.00! Probably well worth it as it seems restored... but far, far too rich for my blood right now. :speechless1:

Ok, I found it.

Less than an hour to the end of the auction, and 38 bids... and with door to door delivery worldwide!!!

Yeah, not that expensive after all, but not for my wallet either... :(

Dolf