News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Having been talking with Monty on this East End of London area (Whistles) - I thought I would ask two general questions - a little test of geography.

1. Danny La Rue sang a hit song in the 1960/70's - ' On Mother Kelly's Doorstep'

Where was this building and what was Mother Kelly ?

2. The famous comedy pair - Flanagan and Allen - sang a very famous song in the 1930/40's -

' Underneath the Arches'

What and where were the Arches ?

May be a little dificult for our overseas members - should be a 'breeze' for Craig ? Have a go - no google though.

Hmmmmmm,

I was born in Stepney but have no idea. Hope there are some guesses as I'd be interested in knowing.

The arches would be railway arches I'd have thought.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Mother Kelly ran a common lodging House and for those who were too late - or, couldn't afford her small charge - they spent the night on her front step and in the little green in front. She was immortalised in the Victorian music hall songs.

The building still exists - at the corner Of Bethnal Green Road and Cambridge Heath Road , there is still a small lane (Hollybush Gardens) of a few houses and they still face the small green. I think hers is the end one.

The famous Arches - again made World famous in the song by Flanagan and Allen - is at the other end of Bethnal Green Road. Before the junction with Shoreditch High Street the long tunnels (nearly 1/4 of a mile long) run from Bethnal Green Road through to Commercial Street. Overhead are all the lines from Bishopsgate. Before the War hundreds of the destitute slept under their shelter. During the War they became very large shelters.

Two interesting snippets of our old history , when we were on duty there was always a stream of visitors trying to find them.

Although Flanagan & Allen were inextricably linked with London I had always understood that Bud Flanagan wrote the song while performing in Derby, and that the arches in question were those carrying the railway line into the town's Friargate Station.

You takes your pick.:P