News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

My small U-95 related collection

Here is a small part of my collection which has to do with the German u-boot U-95, which was sunk on the 28th of November 1941 after being torpedoed by the dutch submarine O-21. There were only twelve survivors. U-95 was under the command of KapitänLeutnant Gerd Schreiber, while the O-21 was commanded by Luitenant 1st klasse Johannes van Dulm. Most of the stuff has to do with obersteuermann Martin Bitterberg, who was also third watch officer on U-95. Hope you guys enjoy.

First some photographs of Martin Bitterberg.

Edited by 107

On the first picture Martin Bitterberg in the conning tower of U-9 (pic taken in 1939). On the second pic Martin Bitterberg next to Gerd Schreiber in the tower of U-95.

After the sinking of U-95, twelve survivors were rescued by their attacker. They were handed over to the British in Gibraltar. Gerd Schreiber ended up in Bowmanville Camp, while Martin Bitterberg was send to Camp 23, Monteith, Canada. Here are some letters he wrote to his wife while in captivity.

Two books. The first are the memoires of Johannes van Dulm (Onder de bloedvlag van de O21). In this he describes the attack on U-95. The second is the book of one of the crewmembers of the O-21, Wijnand Claes (De kat met 9 levens) and he also describes the attack on U-95.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

First very nice thread.Is there any Marker Labels inside this leather Jacket. :cheers:

All the best

Morten.

Sadly there are no maker marks left in the jacket. It only contains his name and rank. When i got the jacket, i went through the pockets and couldn't find any markers in and around those either. I did find however an old German newspaper article and a spare button. :jumping:

Regarding displaying it, i am currently working on a new way of displaying this lot. Only problem is if i have enough space in my war room. It will be a long term project, but that is also one of the nice things about this hobby / addiction. :whistle: It keeps you busy for ages (only one having problems with that is the gf).