News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

#4 - Spain Order of Charles III Commander’s Cross VERIFICATION

Linasl

Greetings. I have just purchased four old Spain Orders which were apparently awarded to a single French Officer of the "Etat Major de la Marine Française" during the French Second Empire while serving in Spain during the époque of the Spanish Queen Isabelle II (the Catholic). Even though I know the dealer somewhat, I would like to verify his information and obtain more, if possible, because I know very little of these type of Orders, which are far from my primary area of collecting French medals. They are beautiful, thus my interest in purchasing them.

The fourth and final is what I was told is the Spain Order of Charles III Commander's Cross. I attached a low-resolution photo to this posting, but have a high-resolution on PhotoBucket at the following link:

http://s752.photobuc...20and%20Medals/

Look at medal #4

The only information the seller provided me includes :

It is Vermillion-coated Silver and enamel, and the Gilt Wreath and Ribbon are replacements. The cross measures 53 mm.

What I would like to know, if possible, are a number of things:

1. based on the photo, does it appear to be ORIGINAL?

2. when was this Order issued (same date as the Breast Star – 1771)?

3. when was it discontinued?

4. who was eligible to receive it (military / civil), and for what purpose/deed?

5. assuming this is ORIGINAL, would it be considered RARE (how many were awarded – even an estimate would suffice)?

6. what would you estimate is the value of this Breast Star (just to give me an idea if I paid a correct price)?

Any and all information is welcome. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Linas

Hello,

It would be a great help to see the reverse of the breast stars.

At first sight they look fine to me, but I´m afraid I´m not an expert in this period. I´m a Spanish Civil War and WWII collector.

But I´ll have a look at one of my books and catalogs, to see if I can get some information from them.

It may take me some time, but I´ll try to do my best.

Best regards,

Dolfek.

Hello,

I found some information about this piece, but only as a refecence. As you said the officer awarded these orders received them somewhere between 1833-1868, under Isabel II reign.

Well, I found a piece like yours but from the Alfonso XIII period (1902-1931) in a catalog from 2002. They priced at 330 Euros. So, if yours is from an older regime and 8 years later from that sale catalog price list, I guess the price of your order should be higher.wink.gif

That´s all for the moment.

Regards,

Dolfek.