News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

The comprehensive book on the orders and medals of Mongolia

Tsend

• 4 months later...

During my work on this book, I came across many interesting documents (kept at the Mongolian archives) on the discussions and communication between the Mongolian leadership in Ulaanbaatar and Mongolian Ambassador J. Sambuu in Moscow regarding the design, quality and quantity of the Mongolian orders and medals. The leaders of that time paid close attention to every detail of the order and medal to be produced. As a results, we see that Mongolian orders and medals (and some badges) boast high quality in terms of design and manufacture.

Below is the copy of a telegram sent to the Mongolian Embassy in Moscow early 1941 from the Presidium of the State Small Khural of the Mongolian People's Republic. The telegram carries the instructions on the design of the new (1940 type) orders and medals being manufactured at the Moscow Mint. See below the translation of the text from Russian into English.

"URGENT.To Embassy of Mongolia in Moscow. Attn: Sambuu. In response to your telegram #119: the diameters of the Honorary Medal of Combat and Honorary Medal of Labor should be 36 mm. The proposed diameter of the medals, which is 32 mm, is small considering the presence of the ornament. We agree with your suggestion to goldplate the ornament on the red enameled circle of the medals. Fourth, you should make sure that the horseman has a sheathe for the saber. Fifth, the bust of Sukhbaatar on the Badge of the Hero should be made of platinum but it should be no more than 20 mm. You should make sure that the bust is in half -turned position not in profile. Sixth, the shield to denote the subsequent award numbers on the obverse of the Order of the Combat Red Banner should be filled with a blue enamel. Signed by President Bumtsend. SN #24. Seal of the Presidium of the State Small Khural of the Mongolian People's Republic".

The read stamp is from the National Central Archives of Mongolia "SN 3831. National Central Archives: the copy is genuine. Clerk signature. date".

• 3 months later...

Hi Tsend,

I am confused so I have a question for you. I do not find the foreign version of the "Medal for the 25th Year Anniversary of the MPR" in your book. Herfurth and Sonnenberg show it but I do not find that medal in Battushig too. Could you help me please?

Aurora

Aurora,

The Medal you are talking about, in my opinion, is a normal Mongolian 25th anniversary of the MPR Medal. I do not know who came with this idea but clearly someone tried to cheat and make some cash on this by inventing a new and rare variation of this medal. Judging from the photo of the medal I have seen before, the serial number has been removed and some enamel has been added to make this medal look like an "exclusive one". I have never seen any documents at the archives that indicate for such a special arrangement by Mongolian authorities to award the foreigners (basically the Soviets). Also, the photo documents show that nobody from the top Soviets (Marshals of the USSR Voroshilov, Zhukov, Vasilevskii, etc) was ever awarded this "exclusive" medal. Hope this helps.

Aurora,

The Medal you are talking about, in my opinion, is a normal Mongolian 25th anniversary of the MPR Medal. I do not know who came with this idea but clearly someone tried to cheat and make some cash on this by inventing a new and rare variation of this medal. Judging from the photo of the medal I have seen before, the serial number has been removed and some enamel has been added to make this medal look like an "exclusive one". I have never seen any documents at the archives that indicate for such a special arrangement by Mongolian authorities to award the foreigners (basically the Soviets). Also, the photo documents show that nobody from the top Soviets (Marshals of the USSR Voroshilov, Zhukov, Vasilevskii, etc) was ever awarded this "exclusive" medal. Hope this helps.

Damn right! :cheers:

These medals (XXV filled with yellow enamel (?) and animals circles filled with blue one + soviet bar with red and yellow ribbon + unnumbered) are phantasy pieces. There was no "special version for foreigners".

Cheers,

Nick

P.S. I'll post some photos of this "rarity" in a couple of days ;)

I do not find the foreign version of the "Medal for the 25th Year Anniversary of the MPR" in your book. Herfurth and Sonnenberg show it but I do not find that medal in Battushig too.

I think you was talking about this "foreign version"... ;)

So how do you like it lads?

Do you want it?

Ok!

Here comes my recipe.

Take one original XXV medal (fatty variation, preferably with two ot three digit number).

Loose original bar and replace it with soviet pectagonal bar.

Wash medal gently with soap.

Take two different colores of epoxide resin and apply them properly.

Polish the number on reverse.

Voilà tout!

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

:cheers:

Best,

Nick

So how do you like it lads?

Do you want it?

Ok!

Here comes my recipe.

Take one original XXV medal (fatty variation, preferably with two ot three number digit).

Loose original bar and replace it with soviet pectagonal bar.

Wash medal gently with soap.

Take two different colores of epoxide resin and apply them properly.

Polish the number on reverse.

Voilà tout!

Cheers,

Nick

If you have not noticed. The original red enamel on the XXV looks old (you can see some chips on the red enamel) while the blue and yellow (amber) enamels look very new.

• 1 month later...

does anyone know what the rank of the officer (diamond sleeve badge) on the front cover is ?

Ken, this is a photo of Major of the Border Troops Ts. Dovdoi.

Are there other photos of officers (with rank mentioned) in this book ?

Yes.

Cheers,

Nick

Edited by JapanX

Interesting reply Nick,

would there be any photos of 1939 Khalkin Gol Mongolian era officers showing the pre 1944 (bastion/spearhead shaped) cuff insignia ?

I know they had various 1-3 or4 upward pointing chevrons in white , gold and blue.

Never know how many chevrons for each rank though - 2nd lieutenant, lieutenant, captain, major , colonel , probaly blue for junior ranks .

Ranjit.

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting reply Nick,

would there be any photos of 1939 Khalkin Gol Mongolian era officers showing the pre 1944 (bastion/spearhead shaped) cuff insignia ?

Ranjit.

Hi Ranjit,

most photos in this book are in portrait format (up to the waist), so naturally no cuff insignia is visible.

Regards,

Nick

• 8 months later...

I just got the Urnukh's book "The Orders and Medals of the Mongolian People's Republic (1924-1992)" and I feel I must write it's symply amazing: absolutely the best book about the mongolian orders/medals.

I'd say it's such a bible for the collectors in this area (and Urnukh is a gentleman for sure: I emailed him for a couple of doubts I got and he has been so prompt and kind in answer me immediately. Thanks Urnukh !)

Cheers,

M

• 2 weeks later...

I just got the Urnukh's book "The Orders and Medals of the Mongolian People's Republic (1924-1992)" and I feel I must write it's symply amazing: absolutely the best book about the mongolian orders/medals.

I'd say it's such a bible for the collectors in this area (and Urnukh is a gentleman for sure: I emailed him for a couple of doubts I got and he has been so prompt and kind in answer me immediately. Thanks Urnukh !)

Cheers,

M

Mauro, thank you for the good words.