News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korean War Medal given to the Turkish Troops by UN

demir

Hello,

Some colleques have been asking questions about the United Nations Korean War Medal given to the Turkish troops. In order to get the answers from the veterans I visited today the Turkish War Veterans Association and tried to find the answers :

Q1: Are the Turkish Korean War Veterans allowed to wear the UN Korean war medal ?

A1: There is no official medal given by the Turkish Government but Veterans can wear the UN Korean War Medal.

Q2: Did the Turkish Korean War Veterans change the blue and white UN ribbons into red ribbons (as sold by some companies as vintage ribbons) because it resembles the Greek flag?

A2: No, they did not and it is absurd to claim such an idea.

Q3: Did Turkish Korean War Veterans send their medals back to the UN in June 5,1964 when Turkish troops were stopped to intervene the situation by a letter written by the USA President Lyndon B. Johnson ( …."Furthermore, a military intervention in Cyprus by Turkey could lead to direct involvement by the Soviet Union. I hope you will understand that your NATO allies have not had a chance to consider whether they have an obligation to protect Turkey against the Soviet Union if Turkey takes a step which results in Soviet intervention without the full consent and understanding of its NATO allies….." summary: So he was saying that you are all alone against the Soviet Union although you are a member of NATO which was founded against the Soviet aggression) after the Cypriot Greeks start killing the Turks in Cyprus?

(more info: http://www.cyprus-co...nsonletter.html)

A3: Yes they have sent their UN Korean war medals back in order to protest USA and USA Army which they dearly helped by their lives during the Korean War. The medals were sent to the regional Military Draft Offices.

Q4: What happened to those who have sent their medals back since they don't even have an official Turkish Korean War Medal?

A4: Through the organization of the National Turkish Students Association and with the financial help of a well known late singer Zeki Muren, they were given a medal with a Cyprus map. Obverse; Cyprus Map and National Turkish Students Association written under it. Reverse: initials of the Association (MTTB) and their logo on the top and Korean Veterans National Service Award written in Turkish. (attached picture)

Q2: Did the Turkish Korean War Veterans change the blue and white UN ribbons into red ribbons (as sold by some companies as vintage ribbons) because it resembles the Greek flag?

A2: No, they did not and it is absurd to claim such an idea.

Based on about 50 years of observation, I can relate a little non-scientific evidence on this matter. However absurd the idea might be, I can assure you that fully half of the Turkish UN Korea Medals I have seen that showed signs of being worn were on red ribbons. Every red ribbon had a buttonhole cut into it and clear signs that it had been worn that way. I'm sure Turkish military regulations and customs have prohibited such wear, but it did happen.

• demir pinned this topic
    • 4 years later...