News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Korean War Turkish Troops outfit and badges

demir

• 2 weeks later...

Hi - Guys. We have a guest - on the Guest info. and valuation Forum - asking for help on the Turkish units in the

Korean War. Should anyone be able to help him we will be most grateful. Mervyn.

Hello Mervyn,

Mr Saral is still waiting a mail from him.

demir

Hi,

Northern Star was the given title to the Turkish Brigade by Gen. Mac Arthur. A Turkish private designed a badge and approved.

This "Northern Star" was sold yesterday. One small and one big badge, but the position of the stars are different.

The head stone of Col. Nuri Pamir, Commander of 241st Turkish Inf. Regiment who was KIA in Korea on 24 February 1952 shows the stars on the right side of the badge. So, the stars must be on the right IMO.

Regards

demir

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

The pictures of NCO Suleyman Keskin, a Korean War Veteran (from the album of Mr.Tosun Saral's (with his permission) friend Mr. Cuneyt Hatipoglu) is a good example for the patches on the uniform. :cool:

In the first picture Suleyman Keskin was wearing a Turkish style uniform. In the group picture they all were wearing American uniforms.

Regards

demir

• 1 month later...

Sorry to necropost;

Demir - You mentioned that there is a museum attached to the veteran's association - could you give me the address? I've been to the museum in Istanbul which is very good, but I would like to add your one to my list of 'to go' sites!

Thanks - and amazing collection!

Hi,

It is not a museum but a small room with the Korean war uniforms and patches.

The address is:

Türkiye Muharip Gaziler Derneği (The War Veterans Association)

Cemal Gürsel Cad. Nu:108

Cebeci / ANKARA /Turkey

TLF: 0312 320 24 62

Regards

Demir

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I bought a 50 cm baton from a flea market in Istanbul today. The baton has its original tassel.

It is made of wood and mother of pearl inlays on it. Mother of pearl 'KOREA -1957-58' is written in the middle and 4 small diamond shape figures are located 8 cm before the tip . The mother of pearl piece is missing at the tip.

The handle is silver with an enamel 'Northern Star' insignia attached on the side and the enamel star and crescent of the Turkish flag at the top.
    Above the star 'TURKIYE' is written.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/koremadalyasi/

Enjoy

Demir

Edited by demir

No it is not. I bought it from the flea market. I did not know there is one in GG. I found it in GG.

Mine is in a better condition and much much more cheaper, 1/10 th of the price they are asking.

Here is my latest collectors item: :whistle:

A lighter having enamel Turkish Flag and Turkish Brigades Northern Star on it and working perfectly.

Made in Japan by Penguin the seller says. Penguin High Quality Lighter No: 18245

Enjoy :beer:

Demir

• 3 weeks later...
    • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

2 nice photos. ( Pictures from UGUR DANA - KORE SAVASI VE SEHITLERIMIZ)

1. The Brigadier Sirri Acar - Commander Turkish Brigade (with helmet) 20 August 1952 - 6 July1953'te (3rd Brigade)

On the right arm Turkish Flag patch, on the left arm Tropical Lightning patch of 25th USA Infantry Division which the Turkish Brigade was attached.

2. A Turkish officer group in front of a jeep.

Demir

Edited by demir

Two more pictures of the Turkish Brigade ( Pictures from UGUR DANA - KORE SAVASI VE SEHITLERIMIZ)

General view of the 1st Brigade in Ankara

From left: Col. Celal Dora -Comm. 241.nd Regiment, Dep. Comm. Natik Poyrazoglu, Captain Abbas Yurdakul, adjutant Capt. Halim Irsoy, 5th Captain ?, Regiment Legal Adv. Capt. Munir Araslı, Captain Muzaffer Sebukcebe and First Lieutenant Seref Unuvar

Edited by demir

4665808490e1960f8ac8b.jpg

From another angle. These pictures show what the first Turkish Brigade was equipped with. From combat pictures, it may be possible to identify the first brigade since they had a mixture of Turkish and Us uniforms and equipment. First brigade kept using Turkish made leather Thompson mag pouches. Even after replacing the Kirikkale rifles with M-1s upon arrival, leather Mauser pouches were still used. 45 Colts were carried on leather belts, instead of US webbing pistol belt. Things go on like this. But with the second brigade this changes. Everything was US after then.

• 4 months later...

I would like to add some more pictures to give an idea about the Turkish troops.

1st Brigade

1. 1st Brigade Commander Brigadier Tahsin Yazici during General McArthur's visit

2. 1st Brigade Commander Brigadier Tahsin Yazici with Regiment Dep. Com. Lt. Colonel Natik Poyrazoglu (on his right) and journalist Feridun Es

3. 1st Brigade Regiment Comm. Col. Celal Dora, adjutant to Col. Celal Dora Captain Halim Irsoy (Col. Dora'sright) Far right Captain Abbas Yurdakul

4. 1st Brigade Commander Brigadier Tahsin Yazici and 1st Brigade Regiment Comm. Col. Celal Dora with journalist Feridun Es

From the collection of Mr. Erhan Cifci (these and the following ones)

Edited by demir