News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Police Group with Ost Front Medal

Hi all, I'm still new to the forum and thought I'd post some images of a box of stuff I bought at a local gunshow. I only collect Imperial German medals and really don't collect 1957 stuff but the price was a steal and felt that I could trade it in the future for something I was interested in. On another forum I've found out that the War Merit cross is a early one as it has a makers mark on it. From the associated stick pins I surmise that this soldier was not in direct combat, served in Russia, perhaps in the Luftwaffe (based on the grey/blue backing on the medal bar) and the flying veteran's stickpin? I think he was a police officer post-war and really enjoyed skiing.

I look forward to hearing from the forum as to if my interpretation is correct.

Cheers,

Greg

post-10470-033258000 1285709352_thumb.jp

post-10470-065961900 1285709363_thumb.jp

Hello Greg,

Welcome to the forum, good to see that there are more and more Canadians joining all the time.

Those are some nice finds. There was a Gun Show about 2 hours from my place on the weekend but I decided to head South instead of North East). If it was the same show I will kick myself as I turned up next to nothing! :lol:

Regards

Brian

Thanks for the welcome Brian, you'd have to drive to the other side of the country (west) to get to the same show!

Cheers,

G

Hello Greg,

Welcome to the forum, good to see that there are more and more Canadians joining all the time.

Those are some nice finds. There was a Gun Show about 2 hours from my place on the weekend but I decided to head South instead of North East). If it was the same show I will kick myself as I turned up next to nothing! :lol:

Regards

Brian

Here are som additional pics.

Greg,

Welcome to the forum. I would say the original owner of these medals and the ribbon bars was in the Heer but probably not in the infantry. The award of the War Merit Cross first and second class would be what I would expect for someone in the engineers. Since these medals were awarded for furthering the war effort, but not related to combat, they were commonly awarded to engineers. I remember one citation for an engineer who received the War Merit medal for helping to completing a bridge that was urgently needed.

Two of the pins have the Berlin city crest in the centre and one is for the BGV which is the berlin city transportation service. Possibly the chap worked for the BGV following the war and then joined the Bundeswehr in 1955 or sometime there after.

Regards,

Gordon

I am going to add something here. After looking at the ribbon bars again there are two black ribbons on the end of the bar with small devices on them. These would be 1957 issue for badges worn on the tunic during the Wehrmacht years. I can not make out what they are but common ones are a wound badge and the Infantry Assault badge.

Edited by Gordon Craig

Hi all, Gordon mentioned the last two darker ribbons in the ribbon bar, they are actually blue long-service ribbons with mini 12 and 4 year devices on them. The final ribbon has a mini DRL badge on it. Is DRL a railways badge? I thought a luft connection based on the grey felt backing and the mini LV FL stickpin. I thought a polizei connection based on the ski badges for 1962, 1968 and 1970. I have other bars, notb related to this group which I will post shortly.

Cheers,

Greg

Thanks for the clarification re the DRL badge Gordon. Thanks as well to the members of the forum for the warm welcome!

:cheers:

Greg

Gregg,

The DRL badge is a sports badge. Here is another picture showing the badge better.

Regards,

Gordon