News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

finnish auction / medalhouse

Hello,

sere will be on October 23rd se next medalhouse auction. Yet, no catalogue is published. Do you know when sere will be the catalogue available? It is almost only one week to go.

Regards

Detlef

but the picture quality is poor :(

The PDF catalog indeed has only low-resolution pictures. The only reason of that is size consideration. Even as it it (picture quality 72 DPI) it "weights" over 13 Mb. The version with high-quality pictures "weights" over 300 Mb and is simply too "large/heavy" to be available for download (not to mention that it could "freeze" the entire website once large number of people starts downloading such a monster :D ).

However, there is also "flash" version available here:

http://medalhouse.com/pdf/swf/index.html

it downloads quite fast and picture quality is sufficient (with possibility for magnification).

Edited by GREAKLY

• 2 weeks later...

Page 55.

Item number: 277.

Hindenburg Cross for non-Combatants,

rare variation with no dates on the reverse marked "T&TL,"

very good condition with light rust in the center 80 - 100

You have to be kidding me :rolleyes:

And no mention about the ribbon being from Belgium,

or the fact that the dates were on the front where the light rust now resides and never on the rear :whistle:

Kevin in Deva :beer:

Edited by Kev in Deva

Wow, sank you.

But I am wondering: Not much sold...is sere - in your opinion - a general tendency in medal collecting?

People are not willing to pay as much money as auctioneers think / want to have?

Sis is very strange...

But some people still have money :whistle:

Se Theese auctions in Sweden right now , rare Finnish orders , bid now about 500 Euro a piece !

someone got 1000-1200 Euro to spend :cheeky: Probably going back to Finland

http://www.tradera.com/FINSK-MEDALJ-WW-II-auktion_292201_12134079977

http://www.tradera.com/FINSK-MEDALJ-WW-II-auktion_292201_121340769

And yes I know how many that was awarded .......

And gone to the same buyer for approx 1400 Euro :rolleyes:

Christer

Edited by christerd

• 2 weeks later...

But some people still have money :whistle:

Se Theese auctions in Sweden right now , rare Finnish orders , bid now about 500 Euro a piece !

someone got 1000-1200 Euro to spend :cheeky: Probably going back to Finland

http://www.tradera.com/FINSK-MEDALJ-WW-II-auktion_292201_12134079977

http://www.tradera.com/FINSK-MEDALJ-WW-II-auktion_292201_121340769

And yes I know how many that was awarded .......

And gone to the same buyer for approx 1400 Euro :rolleyes:

Christer

I think the guy is a swede. More bargains to be had at the Probus auction.

Maybe a short addition: I think that this company called "medalhouse" will disappear sooner or later from the dealers or auctions market respectively.

No real communication, no real responsible persons who respond to questions etc. etc.

Let's hope all items that have been sold now and earlier have been original and no copies.

Detlef

Maybe a short addition: I think that this company called "medalhouse" will disappear sooner or later from the dealers or auctions market respectively.

No real communication, no real responsible persons who respond to questions etc. etc.

Let's hope all items that have been sold now and earlier have been original and no copies.

Detlef

I am not sure what Mr. "Misiu" (or Detlef) means. There has been a slight delay with sending invoices for a few successful bidders at the recent MedalHouse auction. But other than that there were no communication issues whatsoever. Besides, there was no bidder named Detlef at the recent auction. Hence, I am not sure what kind of communication or response he expects to receive.

But Seriously!

Item number; 384. Slovakia, Medal of Slovakian merit w / crown........

What a nonsense!!! :speechless:

A notable auction house would at least get the country right in a printed catalogue for heaves sake!

It's a Hungarian medal..

Good try anyway..

Cheers!

Péter

The item indeed was Hungarian. But the consignor insisted that it got some Slovakian connection. Hence it was placed in that section of the catalog. This (placing items from one country in a different section) is a common practice if the prospective buyer is likely to look for them in that section. For instance, Georgian order of Tamara is often found in German (it was given mostly to Germans) or Russian (those are the ones who mostly collect it) sections of auction catalogs. You can find such examples in most of catalogs.

Wow, sank you.

But I am wondering: Not much sold...is sere - in your opinion - a general tendency in medal collecting?

People are not willing to pay as much money as auctioneers think / want to have?

Sis is very strange...

There are two different approaches to selling items at any auctio: "ascending" and "descending". The first one means placing items in the auction catalog at a very low price to intensify bidding. Normally this is done when the consignor either doesn't care for how much the item sells (estate liquidation and etc) or is willing to gamble. Often such approach causes the price to go higher than normal (when people see $100 opening price for $1000 item they tend to lose their guard and bid higher than they would have done otherwise). However, it also means that, occasionally, an item could be sold lower than the normal retail price, so somebody gets a bargain.

Another approach is to put items in the auction catalog at retail prices or even slightly higher and see what happens. This is usually done when the consignor has unreasonably high price expectations or simply does not want to sell his items below a certain price (often the case when the consignor is a professional dealer). Some of the items sell at opening prices, but not as many as in the first case. However, once the auction is over, usually there are quite a few "low-ball" (below the estimate) offers coming from a number of customers. The job of the auction house is to deliver those offers to consignors. Some of them (many) subsequently get accepted, some don't. This way every consignor knows for sure that he has not sold the item too cheaply, yet he looses a chance to sell the item for higher price than normal. These approaches could be viewed as "aggressive" and "conservative"s.

At every auction there is always a mix of consignors of both types. Hence, there are often cases when two items, which are exactly the same, are offered at significantly (could be a couple times) different starting prices. Such discrepancy only means that two different consignors are using two different strategies. Also, when you see the result list with too few items sold, that is only a part of the picture (tip of the iceberg, so to speak). In order to have a complete picture (which only the auction house does) one needs to know how many items (and for what prices) have been sold in the post-auction sale.

The item indeed was Hungarian. But the consignor insisted that it got some Slovakian connection. Hence it was placed in that section of the catalog. This (placing items from one country in a different section) is a common practice if the prospective buyer is likely to look for them in that section. For instance, Georgian order of Tamara is often found in German (it was given mostly to Germans) or Russian (those are the ones who mostly collect it) sections of auction catalogs. You can find such examples in most of catalogs.

I understand that connections to certain countries falls into the closest group etc, but in this case he is WAY off !

The medal is not in any way linked to the state of Slovakia, and even the text says "Slovakia"..

It's like saying that a Slovakian medal is Swedish. They should simply say it's Hungarian, we made an error.

Cheers!

Péter

• 1 year later...

Hello,

To avoid confusion with me and Medalhouse.

Medalhouse still exists as a company, but I have no knowledge when they would start having auctions. I left the company in June 2010.

I am currently working with my own company Finnmedals in co-operation with Christian Lehrle's www.benemerenti.de (Which has next auction 1300+ items in April 2012)

Medalhouse web site has not been updated for a long time and I am little bit frustrated since my name is still there.

Jani Tiainen