News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Brass EKII

Hello,

I picked this up in Feb. I think as I thought it was cheap and so couldn't resist it. The person who sold it to me had sticky labels on the 12 O'clock and 9 O'clock arms that took the paint off when I removed them.

Just out of interest, does anyone know who the maker may have been?

Cheers

Tony

Don't know the maker Tony, but a very, very nice piece. Brass centred EK2s don't turn up every day.

Here are my brass centred EK1s. The one at left is unmarked, the one at right (which has a replaced pin) is an L/19.

Some of you will know I don't like LDO marked pieces (except for U-Boat badges where I will take anything thats going !!), BUT the fact that it is an LDO piece is made up for by the fact it belonged to a German Cross winning U-Boat commander. In fact they both did.

The one at left is from Oberleutnant Heinrich Niemeyer of U-547 and at right from Kapit?nleutnant Franz-Georg Reschke of U-205.

Don't know the maker Tony, but a very, very nice piece. Brass centred EK2s don't turn up every day.

Here are my brass centred EK1s. The one at left is unmarked, the one at right (which has a replaced pin) is an L/19.?

Some of you will know I don't like LDO marked pieces (except for U-Boat badges where I will take anything thats going !!), BUT the fact that it is an LDO piece is made up for by the fact it belonged to a German Cross winning U-Boat commander. In fact they both did.

The one at left is from Oberleutnant Heinrich Niemeyer of U-547 and at right from Kapit?nleutnant Franz-Georg Reschke of U-205.

Gordon,is it just a coincidence that the above brass cored EK's belonged to Kriegsmarine men?I know the old wives tale about KM personnel having brass core EK's because they wouldn't rust in the sea air but seeing attributed crosses like yours makes me wonder if it might be true.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Dave B

Tony,

This is where they need one on those screaming smileys as far as the paint. :violent-smiley-017:

Still, a very nice cross. I'll check around and see if I can come up with a maker.

Gordon,

Super nice to have attributed pieces. I also have an L/19 EKI. It still has all it's paint with the exception of just a few chips on the date. Non magnetic, and what I can see, looks to be brass, or at least coppered.

Dave,

If I wasn't broke at the moment, I would have snatched that brass EKI you have. sad.gif

I'm just going to guess, and say Terrance???

I bet Gordon would like to see some of his displays. He really has a knack for putting together some beautiful KM displays.

I think I will contact him. biggrin.gif

Dave,

I've seen brass centre crosses in attributed Army and Luftwaffe groupings too. I dare say that KM people may well have specifically asked for brass centred pieces if they were buying additional examples, but they were not made specifically for the Navy.

Gordon

Gordon,is it just a coincidence that the above brass cored EK's belonged to Kriegsmarine men?I know the old wives tale about KM personnel having brass core EK's because they wouldn't rust in the sea air but seeing attributed crosses like yours makes me wonder if it might be true.

Cheers

Dave

Dave,

I've seen brass centre crosses in attributed Army and Luftwaffe groupings too. I dare say that KM people may well have specifically asked for brass centred pieces if they were buying additional examples, but they were not made specifically for the Navy.

Gordon

Cheers Gordon! BTW do you know what the price was back then for a private purchase EK1 with case?

Dave

Dave,

From "Deutsche Uniform Zeitschrift", the "trade-paper" of the uniforms and medals industry.

Eisernes Kreuz 1. Klasse 1939

mit Nadel...............................Etui..........RM 3.64 (RM 5.25)

mit Nadel...............................Beutel.......RM 2.94 (RM 4,25)

mit Schraube..........................Etui..........RM 4.28 (RM 6.20)

mit Schraube..........................Beutel......RM 3.58 (RM 5.20)

If we assume that the unit price of the paper bag or "Beutel" was negiligible (Lets face it any shop you buy something isn't going to charge you for the paper bag you put stuff in), then the case cost around RM 0.70 for both pinback and screwback versions, both the same price. Be nice if that was still true , eh ?

In the above prices, a Screwback was 17% more than a pinback. Be nice if that was still the case too. But of course back then the price differential related to the extra work in making a screwback with no "rarity premium".

Yes Dave, and you would know!! tongue.gif

Tony,

I put out the photo of your cross, and so far no hits as to the maker. But if I hear something, I'll let you know straight away.

BTW Dave,

I love your avatar!! I hope to have one like it some day. smile.gif

Edited by Panzerman

• 1 month later...