News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Here is my first Imperial German Uniform - as fieldgray is a bit out of my price rage at this moment, but there is some extreme beauty in these uniforms. This is a named tuinc of Gufar (?) Buck of the 5th Company of the 7th Regiment of the "Konig Wilhelm I (I Rheinisches)" Its an enlisted uniform and dats from after 1898 (? not sure on the date)

What interests me is the presence of loops for a medal bar - the spacing indicated a medal bar of at least two awards. But what two awards would an enlisted man possibl earn? Any help on this one???

post-1879-070698000 1288334508_thumb.jpg

This is a named tuinc of Gufar (?)

Very nice Attila!

The name could read Husar Buck. The chevron on the right arm is a Fechtabzeichen (lance proficiency award)

Different Regiment but note the ribbon bar!

post-1062-025741300 1288353086_thumb.jpg

Edited by Naxos

I would guess that it was for a medal bar with the 1870/71 War Medal and the 1898 Jubilee. I've seen posts of such a medal bar here on GMIC.

Here is the battle honors for the Husaren-Regiment König Wilhelm I (1. Rheinisches) Nr.7 in the Franco-Prussian War:

1870/71 gegen Frankreich: (15. Inf.-Div., VIII. Armeekorps) Schlachten bei Gravelotte - St. Privat,Rekognoszierungsgefecht bei Moreuil, Gefecht bei Berthaucourt les Thennes, Schlacht bei Amiens, Gefechte bei Bose le Hard und Buchy, Schlacht an der Hallue, Gefecht bei Sapigniers, Schlacht bei Bapaume, Gefecht bei Tertry - Poeuilly, Schlacht bei St. Quentin, Einschliessung von Metz.

The only thing I have with putting a medal bar like that on this tunic is that its for a simple enlisted man. Certaily he had some skills and but I think the tunic would date from after the 1890's. I coudl see a 1898 Jubilee - but what els?

I think Colonial Medal or South-west Africa Medal could be possibilities; but the experts (like Chris B) will have to chime in if it's possible for this unit or if the soldier could have transferred into this regiment after service in the colonies.

I agree with you Chris - in a selfish desire to have it all - I am focusing on Hussar items for this. I also just like the design and the flair that these have. The Dunkleblau uniforms of the Victorian era are nice and have a simplitic beauty, but who can beat something like that! More to come..

Chris B - (or anyone for that matter) got any idea how he could get a two place bar? And what it would be?

I think all regiments could send a handful of men to serve in the Schutztruppe, so I guess it is a possible medal for him to have in the early 1900s.

Some tunics spent many years in service.

I have a French tunic from a Line Regiment based in France from about 1907-1912... same problem, 2 medals.... but what, oh what can they be????

Few questions - the Hussar regiments were they raised by the various states - or were the soldiers pooled from all over Germany? So could a Hessian bar go on this uniform - or just a Prussian? Hate to ask the dumb questiosn but my recent investment into reference books on Hussars and Imperial German unforms and equipment lack such details...

• 2 weeks later...

Get the book, the German Cavalry from 1871 to 1914. It breaks down the individual regiments to where they were recruited from and stationed. I think, most states had their own units. Not 100% sure when thinking of the Hussars though.

Have you contacted Randy Trawnik about uniforms? I think he, at Age of Kings Militaria, has some good stuff right now!

Man this makes me wish I had enough $$ to collect Imperial stuff again!

• 11 years later...

Good day,

The gentlemen in the attached photos are my ancestors and I am interested in learning more about them. I live in South Africa and would also appreciate advice on internet sources.

I understand the chevrons indicate a Fechtabzeichen 2nd Class. I have read that it is for proficiency with lance and/or sabre. Is that correct?

Any other information on the uniforms, units and ranks, of these long lost ancestors will be highly appreciated.

3.jpg

4.jpg

4a.jpg