News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Cruiser Hamidiye Medal (Hamidiye Kruvazoru Humayunu Madalyasi)

Tim B

Cruiser Hamidiye Medal (Hamidiye Kruvazoru Humayunu Madalyasi) 1913

As the Balkan War of 1912-1913 was not considered successful for the Turks, other than the exploits of this particular cruiser against the Greek navy, the only commemorative military medal issued during this conflict was this medal. I understand less than 400 total were awarded to the crew, so it must be quite rare.

Does anyone have one or at least pictures of one to show here?

Thanks,

Tim

Hello Tim,

I copied a picture for you from Mr. Metin Erureten's extraordinary book named Ottoman Medals and Orders, Documented History, Istanbul 2001.*

According to the book the " Hamidiye Kruvazoru Humayunu Madalyasi "(medal) is 31.5 mm and 20.3 gr. Regulation Date: 1329 (1913)

Obverse: Sultan V. Mehmed Resad Tugra (Seal)

Reverse: A picture of the cruiser warship Hamidiye over the waves, under the waves the date 1328 and a section to write the name of the recepient below it.

1328 is the date when Hamidiye sailed to Aegean sea, where "single handedly dstrupted enemy naval activity, sank several Greek Warships and commercial vessels." *

It was awarded only to te officers and sailors of Hamidiye. The commander was the war hero Rauf Orbay.

The medal is made of bronze and only 394 were awarded.

Here is the picture from above mentioned book page: 312 *

demir :beer:

post-4190-080602200 1288732518_thumb.jpg

Hello Demir!

Many thanks my friend, as its really nice to finally see an example!

I am trying to put together a small Balkans War display of different campaign medals from all the countries involved. I think I am going to be out of luck with this one though and I imagine if one could even find an original these days, the costs would be astronomical. A great, and rare, piece of history!

Thank you again! :beer:

Tim

• 4 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

Hello Demir,

I am wondering; was the name of the recipient actually written in the reverse area, based on the examples that you have seen so far?

Regards,

Dimitris

Hi,

I did not even see the medal itself Makedon. :blush:

It is very rare.

Regards

demir

I would imagine that some must still exist, either in museums or very private collections.

I heard or read somewhere that these were supposed to be passed down to the family members upon the recipient's death and not required to be returned to the government. Any truth to that?

It's a sharp looking medal and the honor to have been one of the few to actually get the award! :cheers:

Tim

I would imagine that some must still exist, either in museums or very private collections.

I heard or read somewhere that these were supposed to be passed down to the family members upon the recipient's death and not required to be returned to the government. Any truth to that?

It's a sharp looking medal and the honor to have been one of the few to actually get the award! :cheers:

Tim

Hello Tim,

Yes thats right, after the recipients death, it passes to the eldest child of the recepient or their eldests.

Regards

:beer:

• 5 years later...

There are various option for selling such a desirable pieces as this, one can offer it for sale on this site or you can offer it with a reputable auction site, who will charge a commission but then it will realise  a price after competition or there are dealers who will make an offer, If they think they can sell it quickly they will probably offer a strong price. As these medals turn up very infrequently it is not  easy to set a price.

Paul

ottomanantiquestore

The link I have posted below will take you to the Sale Page on this forum.  It tells you the regulations for selling on this site.  It is the first thing on the home page when you log in.  Welcome to the GMIC.  Always nice to have new collectors join the forum.

Regards,

Gordon

http://gmic.co.uk/forum/35-the-old-sale-room-resurrected/

I thank all of you individually !!!

a good feeling among the first to join you...

I saw the sales of
    but I do not see there start new topic

I want to share with you my hand just collections with more valuable friends
    perhaps we would wish and we can agree

already in any way to accept payments directly
    we may only receive payments via PayPal...

thank you so much for your help...

sincerely

regards

2 hours ago, ottomanantiquestore said:

I thank all of you individually !!!

a good feeling among the first to join you...

I saw the sales of
    but I do not see there start new topic

I want to share with you my hand just collections with more valuable friends
    perhaps we would wish and we can agree

already in any way to accept payments directly
    we may only receive payments via PayPal...

thank you so much for your help...

sincerely

regards

ottomanantiquestore,

You do not use "start new topic" at first in the sale area.  You pick the area you wish to post your sale in.  If you wanted to sell something from the Ottoman area you would click on "For Sale: Original Rest of the World Militaria". Then you will see the "START NEW TOPIC" button on the right hand side at the top of the page.  By clicking on the "START NEW TOPIC" button you will be able to post the item that you wish to sell.

Good luck and we look forward to pictures of your collection and things that you may have for sale.

Regards,

Gordon

ottomanantiquestore

The link I have posted below will take you to the Sale Page on this forum.  It tells you the regulations for selling on this site.  It is the first thing on the home page when you log in.  Welcome to the GMIC.  Always nice to have new collectors join the forum.

Regards,

Gordon

http://gmic.co.uk/forum/35-the-old-sale-room-resurrected/

You do not use