News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Serbia - Gold Medal of Merit towards the Royal House Typ 1889-1903 in box

My last found on Ebay !

Serbia Gold Medal of Merit towards the Royal House Typ 1889-1903 and Etui (I) "Braca Z.Popovic Beograd"!

(Rule of Alexander Obrenovich)

The Medal consisted of four Classes (Gold Medal with Crown, Gold medal, Silver Medal with Crown and Silver Medal), and was worn suspended from the white ribbon with side stripes and the field between those side stripes filled with a ladder-style horizontal lines of blue (during the reign of the Obrenovich Dynasty)

post-10565-013209300 1289037952_thumb.jp

post-10565-096260100 1289037968_thumb.jp

post-10565-001271900 1289037988_thumb.jp

Edited by balkanphila

My last found on Ebay !

Serbia Gold Medal of Merit towards the Royal House Typ 1889-1903 and Etui (I) "Braca Z.Popovic Beograd"!

(Rule of Alexander Obrenovich)

The Medal consisted of four Classes (Gold Medal with Crown, Gold medal, Silver Medal with Crown and Silver Medal), and was worn suspended from the white ribbon with side stripes and the field between those side stripes filled with a ladder-style horizontal lines of blue (during the reign of the Obrenovich Dynasty)

Etui for the Medal I.class

post-10565-065606400 1289038220_thumb.jp

Congratulations, balkanphila,

but you've paid a fortune; I was compeeting up to 300 E, than I've quit. I've bought mine at medal fair at Gunzenhausen, but without box (I have only Class IV medal of this type in box)

However, I've paid for mine 1/10 of your price. So, box must be a fortune....

post-8720-008523600 1289070282_thumb.jpg

Anyway, set is beautifull.

Congratulations Balkanphila.

Thank you!

Maybe I paid more for medal in box (520 Euro).

but on the same day I pick from Ebay 2 Orders of St.Sava

(III and V class Huguenin III type) for about 400 Euros.

I am very happy at the end.

Congratulations ballkanphila,

here comes mine.

Some questions: Did you find any hallmarks or Maker Marks?

I have been told that these have also been made by Vincenz Mayer (Vienna) - this medals should be hallmarked

Was "Braca Z.Popovic Beograd" a jeweller who strucked the medals or were the just resellers?

has anybody awarding numbers?

All Household Medals 1st Class I have see so far have really poor (faded) gilding - ist this normal?

thanks in advance

josef

post-645-019935000 1289382793_thumb.jpg

Dear Josef,

nice picture you've posted; are these medals from a group (or just pictured together)?

I have some answers on your questions;

Medal shold have markers mark; either on ring or on the ''kugel'' (I'm enclosing pictures of mine)

To my knowledge, most of the medals of this type (the 2nd type, period of Alexander Obrenovich 1889 - 1903) were made by G.A.Scheid, but Bavarian workshop of Jacob Leser

produced medals as well, but in small quantities. However, all medals are hallmarked. (I'll enclose Leser's hallmark as well

Braca Z. Popovich were supliers of the Chancelery of Royal Orders and had deliverd medals (both from Scheid and Leser) in own boxes, with theirs logo on the inner side of lid.

No numbers of awarded medals exist, as on bombing of Belgarde one of the first German bombs hit the Chancellery of Royal Orders and all arcives went in flames. But number of medals awarded in Obrenovich era (1882 - 1903) is not very high.

Gilding is indeed not very good; which is in contrast to usual quality of Viennese producers. Medals are often dark because silver oxide which come in front. With silver cleaner some of gilt can be restored, but

be carefull.... sometimes cleaner can damage gilt.

post-8720-082256100 1289416090_thumb.jpg

Dear Bovec I really appreciate your informations.

This Household medal belongs to an austrian bar for the frack (frog in english ? ) i once showed here GMIC

Unfortunately one Medal is missing. The seller told me that he thinks/remembers a knightscross of the franz-josef-order was placed here.

That would be fit as serbia was pro-Austrian until 1903.

I didn`'t know that GAS produced this medals aswell i always thought of Mayer. Tomorrow i will check my medal again if there is a GAS-mark on the

eyelet (Kugelöse). So far i found no markings on my household medal but some months passed by since i had it in my hands for the last time.

I cannot imagine that i would have overlooked such a marking. I will report tomorrow

again thanks

josef

Hello Josef,

thanks for the answer; must be an interesting frack with JFO order and two medals.

It would be nice to know if your medal is hallmarked or not; as I've never seen and non-hallmarked medal.

The other position for Scheid's hallmark is of course ring of a medal; here is another picture with hallmark on ring.

Mayer did in fact produced almost all Serbian orders and medals in very beginning, when other producers were involved in business as well (Rothe, Anton Fürst, Fleischhacker),

but later almost all production was taken over by Scheid.

here is another Scheid's hallmark on medal's ring.

post-8720-058925500 1289418203_thumb.jpg

Congratulations ballkanphila,

here comes mine.

Some questions: Did you find any hallmarks or Maker Marks?

I have been told that these have also been made by Vincenz Mayer (Vienna) - this medals should be hallmarked

Was "Braca Z.Popovic Beograd" a jeweller who strucked the medals or were the just resellers?

has anybody awarding numbers?

All Household Medals 1st Class I have see so far have really poor (faded) gilding - ist this normal?

thanks in advance

josef

Thank you and sorry for late reply!

I am a newcomer in this area (collecting only since few months)

My medal has no hallmarks!

Inside of box written in serbian Cyrillic letters

"KR.DVORSKI JUVELIRI I CASOVNICARI BRACA Z.POPOVIC BEOGRAD

"Brothers Z. Popovic Royal Court Jeweller and Watches Belgrade"

Questions are already answered Member "bovec1313" (author of Serbian and Yugoslav orders and decorations)

Best regards

Zoran

(balkanphila)

Edited by balkanphila