News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Source documents/Gold Imtiyaz Medal help

jkautz55

I'm pretty new to the medals/militaria thing so sorry in advance if these are stupid questions. The few sales comps I found online didn't seem to offer much in the way of proof of authenticity like you would see for a painting at auction where if the provenance is solid price goes up. Does that apply here with medals if at all? Thanks for the help in advance.

-JK

post-10420-058189000 1289393858_thumb.jp

I'm pretty new to the medals/militaria thing so sorry in advance if these are stupid questions. The few sales comps I found online didn't seem to offer much in the way of proof of authenticity like you would see for a painting at auction where if the provenance is solid price goes up. Does that apply here with medals if at all? Thanks for the help in advance.

-JK

Hello JK and, on behalf myself, welcome to the GMIC website. I hope you visit often, post photos, questions and your insights.

I don't think your question is stupid. In fact my answer will likely not be universally agreed upon by others. But here is my attempt.

No, a dealer or website doesn't offer much in proof of authenticity other than a 100% money back guarantee. The good dealers will provide a money back guarantee and therefore it is a good idea to keep good records and the receipt of purchase. A dealer in good standing, and with a long history will also be an expert in the field and will generally only offer legitimate items for sale. It is only if the collector loses confidence in the piece or it because recognized as false that the money back option is needed. One dealer would provide a documents with the description of the item, a photo along with a date and purchase amount as a form of a guarantee. These became so recognized as a seal of authenticity that forged items would have forged Detlev documents!

The best hope (for all of us) is learn everything you can about a legitimate items construction, known dimensions, maker marks, etc as well as the traits of known fakes. Then you can purchase with greater confidence from good dealers that will know the items they sell and offer refunds. Ask stupid questions. Dealers love to discuss the items and everything they can about them. It's is best way to get the most enjoyment out of this hobby.

Regards,

Claudius

Sorry-wanted to get these up earlier but got home late. I've got pics of the 4 berat up there because I couldn't translate which one is for the Imtiyaz (if any eyes can read them out there I'd really appreciate it). I've got some other docs lying around but can't read those either. Thought these would help establish authenticity...feedback is welcome-Thanks.

-JK

post-10420-004438400 1289446644_thumb.jp

post-10420-034844700 1289446645_thumb.jp

post-10420-096158400 1289446646_thumb.jp

post-10420-082120600 1289446663_thumb.jp

post-10420-003082600 1289446665_thumb.jp

post-10420-053479800 1289446666_thumb.jp

post-10420-023727100 1289446733_thumb.jp

Edited by jkautz55

The one guy with the docs and the other holding the merchandise trick would have tricked me...scandalous world we live in. Based on the role an established reputation plays with a money back guarantee then I'm gonna need a wall street escrow service if I sell.

• 3 weeks later...