News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

And another thought...I've just noticed different color under the pin. It could be attributed to oxidation which is a process that normally takes some time.

post1270178747001289509.jpg

For me this oxidation is one of the many ways how to recognize a fake Bavarian Merit cross without Swords.

Swords usually interact somehow with the body of the cross and leave traces similar to those on your badge.

If, after 100 years, someone removed them from the cross it's usually easily recognizable thanks to the different level of oxidation.

Therefore it could be that your badge might have been out there for a longer period of time (e.g. decades). Of course unless someone found out how to partially 'oxidize' a medal.

So your badge has a 'plus' with me thanks to the oxidation and 'minus' thanks to the bubbles :)

But hey, I believe there's couple of experts here on the forum so let us hear their opinion.

Edited by avadski

Don,

Thanks for posting this one. I didn't want to say anything here, but as I already commented on this one at WAF and see others have pinged on the same questions, I know I am not the only one with some of the same concerns.

Hopefully Gordon, Michel, Skip, Marcus to name a few, will see the thread and come in. They might be hanging out in the KM section, so a PM or pointer to this thread may help.

Tim :cheers:

Well... I must admit I was wanting and wanting to post I thought it looked good... but I was not sure and good thing I held my tongue.

I now see the problems pointed out and am happy I collect paper... :-)

Actually, nothwithstanding the fact that it is in pretty rough condition, I think it probably IS a good piece. I've seen several good original WW1 U-Boat badges, including Schott marked pieces, with a lot of pock marking to the surface. Brass type alloys may not rust but they are not immune to corrosion.

This one isn't a patch on Michel's badge and it's not one I'd invest a lot of money in but I'm far from convinced that its bad.

Actually, nothwithstanding the fact that it is in pretty rough condition, I think it probably IS a good piece. I've seen several good original WW1 U-Boat badges, including Schott marked pieces, with a lot of pock marking to the surface. Brass type alloys may not rust but they are not immune to corrosion.

This one isn't a patch on Michel's badge and it's not one I'd invest a lot of money in but I'm far from convinced that its bad.

15 years ago I used to think myself up on good and bad as far as badges go... not having collected WW2 badges for ages and ages I find it astounding as to how fast you forget what you once knew, and how much the hobby progresses with knowlege and regresses with better copies....

10 years ago I would think "Yes!" or "No!".... nowdays I often think..... "ummmmmmm.... Maybe!" ;-)

I'm afraid the link will be of very limited to those of us who aren't, or chose not to be, members of WAF as they won't see any images.

The dimensions, weight etc seem to be within the ball park for known originals which reinforces my thoughts that it is most likely a very worn original.

For what its worth I have seen so called "ground dug" original Kriegsmarine tombak badges whose finishes were corroded even worse than this badge.

Hi Gordon,

That was my first thoughts on this badge when originally asking questions; either a cast of an original, or one that has been in less than favorable storage conditions over the years. We just don't see these Meybauer badges as much as the Schott examples, so hard to really get used to seeing ones that come along with all these little holes on the reverse.

I'll try to copy some PIC's that Chris posted over there as I'm sure he wants to know 100%. :cheers:

Tim

Here's a comparison Chris did with another unmarked badge he got from Detlev sometime back. It appears to be an unmarked Meybauer with some cutouts.

I do see a lot of the same characteristics as far as softer detailing and rougher surface finish. Still, ??

Tim

post-548-028882000 1289689705_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Tim,

Thanks for the additional pics. Reinforces my opinion, - a genuine, but (very) worn original.

I like this one. it seems good, even without holding it. You guys have already given all the good points so i need not do so again!!!!