News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A friend has recently acquired a single shoulder board of a Major from the 3.Garde Fußartillerie Regiment. The regiment was raised on December 12, 1917 and members of the new unit initially wore the same shoulder insignia as that of the 1.Garde Fußartillerie Regiment, that is, a M15 Fußartillerie pattern shoulder strap with crossed Langgranaten in the center. An army order of March 4th, 1918 ordered the addition of white piping on the straps of the men of the regiment, thus differentiating them from the 1st Guard foot artillery regiment. The officer's board in question is a subdued (Feldachselstück) pattern with the white piping, indicating that it was made between March of 1918 and the end of the war. We think we have identified that the commander of the unit during this time period was Major H. Schopp.

I was wondering if anyone had access to a regimental history of the 3.Garde Fußart.Rgt. or had any information on Schopp, especially during his service with the regiment. Thanks in advance for any help.

Chip

post-500-082146500 1289754435_thumb.jpg

Edited by Chip

Chip,

Unfortuinately, I can't give you a first name, but there was a Fußart. Hptm. Schopp in FußAR 18 at the beginning of the war. The 1926 Ehrenrangliste shows his last wartime assignment was as commander of the 3. Garde FußAR, so, I think this is your man. As we all know, first names are rather hard to come by, especially for non-infantry or cavalry officers.

Andy

• 5 months later...

Chip,

it has taken me the best part of six months to track down this guy's first name but perseverance pays off. Oberstleutnant Ludwig Schopp. Luckily for me, he was assigned to the Artillery Testing Commission in Berlin for a couple of years (1905-1906) whilst on the strength of Hohenzollernsches Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr. 13. Consequently he turned up in a Berlin address book of that year.

Regards

Glenn

Chip,

it has taken me the best part of six months to track down this guy's first name but perseverance pays off. Oberstleutnant Ludwig Schopp. Luckily for me, he was assigned to the Artillery Testing Commission in Berlin for a couple of years (1905-1906) whilst on the strength of Hohenzollernsches Fußartillerie-Regiment Nr. 13. Consequently he turned up in a Berlin address book of that year.

Regards

Glenn

Glenn,

Hat's off to you for digging this name up!

Andy