News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Persian Gold Medal

Claudio

Dear Forumites,

I saw this medal - it looks to be Persian (Iranian, see the lion) - and was interested to know for what reason has been bestowed and if it could be in real Gold.

Thank you very much in advance for your most interesting and appreciated comments.

post-199-008411500 1289991007_thumb.jpg

I looks very much like this coin, of Ahmad Shah Qajar, the last king of the dynasty, reigned for about 16 years. He reigned with regent from 1909 to 1914.

The one I show is wearable.

Ciao,

Claudio

Nasr ed Din Reward for Valour, AH 1300 (1883).

Rabino di Borgomale, Coins Medals and Seals of the Shahs of Iran, Tehran 1974, Plate 43 no 45 (also issued in silver).

All the best,

Paul

Hi Paul,

thanks for your info... do you know the market value of such medals?

ciao,

Claudio

These turn up on the market from time to time. One in A.N.S. part 3, Morton and Eden 26 April 2007, lot 296, with suspension removed and replaced £850. So yours must be worth in the region of £1,000.

Hope this helps,

Paul

WOW!!!!!!

Now THAT folks is a treasure!!! :jumping:

My neighbor at uni. was the great grandson of an Iranian tribal chief. On his mantelpiece he had a photo of his granddad standing with his warriors in front of a pile of heads!

The Shahs of Iranian spent a LOT of time consolidating their power with their "modern" military forces in the 1800s and God alone knows what this medal was awarded for! If only it could talk.

The gold alone must be worth @ $2,500.

WOW!!!!!!

My neighbor at uni. was the great grandson of an Iranian tribal chief. On his mantelpiece he had a photo of his granddad standing with his warriors in front of a pile of heads!

The Shahs of Iranian spent a LOT of time consolidating their power with their "modern" military forces in the 1800s and God alone knows what this medal was awarded for! If only it could talk.

The gold weighs around half a troy ounce (5 Tomans) of 21 carat gold (the medal is quite thin) gold value is about $800

all the best,

Paul

WOW!!!!!!

Getting more and more interesting.

:Cat-Scratch: Claudio, please keep us abreast of developments as prudence would allow.

• 7 years later...