News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

New Zealand Expeditionary Force WWI Medals

Interestingly, the UK Archives website does not list New Zealand Expeditionary Force (NZEF) as a unit abbreviation for WWI medals. Did I miss something?

I was specifically looking for how NZEF Royal Artillery would be engraved. I do know that there is the number prefix: 2/ Royal New Zealand Artillery

So, does that mean a Kiwi gunner's medal would be simply engraved: 2/xxxxxx NZEF?

I have no examples to show; so I'm hoping the collecting wisdom can shed some light. Thanks in advance.

From the examples I found on Geoff's search engine, not all Kiwi gunners had a 2/ prefix; probably just the original enlistments.

Yes, that would make sense; I've seen that with other regimental number prefixes - limited use. But it might be a clue.

The real problem is that the British Archives site has no abbreviation for any NZ corps - let alone artillery. There are several for the Aussies - AIF - for example A.F.A.A.I.F.= Australian Field Artillery AIF; not nothing for the Kiwis. Even the South African's have several abbreviations.

I have been keeping my eye out for NZ artillery medals, but I fear I may not be watching for the right abbreviation.

According to Howard Williamson's book (Collector and Researchers Guide to the Great War) the RNZA had the prefix 2. Kiwi prefixes ranged from 1 (Samoan Advance Force) to 26 (4th Batt. NZ Rifle Brigade).

As Michael mentions, there could well be other possibilities. Is it possible that Kiwi's kept their original number? E.g. transferring from the NZASC to the RNZA maybe the soldier kept his '5' prefix.

Tony

• 1 year later...

Member of he Artillery units in NZ had almost any number that could be imagined. Numbers were issued in a sequence as people enlisted and then later the serviceman would be passed off to other units, Artly, Infantry, Medical etc etc. All medals to NZers were engraved as "NZEF" regardless. To find a person one would have to trawl the rolls.

If you have a particular person let us know what details you have.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike, thanks for the addition to this old thread. Your info that "All medals to NZers were engraved as "NZEF" regardless" is what I was concerned about - making finding medals to gunners just a tad more work intensive. Thanks again.