News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Alfonso XIII Naval Merit Grand Cross

Steve K.

Here is my contribution to the Spanish Civil War Section: Alfonso XIII Naval Military Merit Star with case. A not often seen cross. There is a picture (somewhere) of Raeder wearing this cross...I believe it is in Bender's Legion Condor book. Enjoy!

Edited by Steve K.

Ed,

I agree. More "Spanish" than "Spanish Civil War" but I believe Raeder received one of these for delivering the Naval Aid requested. The German Navy's involvement in the Spanish Civil always seems to play second fiddle to the Luftwaffe.

And it's more of a Breast Star than a Grand Cross!

Fine cross, but the crown doens't macht with spanish civil war era. It could be more 1700-1933 or 1975-today. I think it is a pre-1933 cross.

Nevertheless beautiful and cased.

jacques

Jacques is right. It is a pre-1930's medal. Post-1975 stars have a similar design but size is smaller and quality is very poor.

Steve, could you post close-up views of manufacturer's marks?

Best regards

Jacques

Thank you for the information. I had always thought this was '36-'39 time period award. Where can I find the correct information to reference? I thought there was a good website...but I can't remember the address right now....

My apologies for posting this since it's not in the correct time frame. It's still a beautiful navy award!!

@Panzerpionier, Here is the worn mark for the jeweler on the inside of the case.

My apologies for posting this since it's not in the correct time frame. It's still a beautiful navy award!!

This forum can easily room extra 36-39 period Spanish topics such this one or Spanish volunteers in Russia.

jacques

Panzerpionier,

There is none.

Steve

I mistook the base of the missing catch at six o'clock for a rectangular manufacturer's mark.

Cejalvo was a Spanish medal maker of high renown. His medals were of the highest quality.

Alfonso XIII was the king of Spain between 1902 and 1931. Therefore that medal qualifies as a pre-SCW award, although recipients that fought for the Nationalist side were allowed to continue wearing it. The use of pre-1936 awards was forbidden for professional soldiers that fought for the Republican side.

Best regards

This forum can easily room extra 36-39 period Spanish topics such this one or Spanish volunteers in Russia.

jacques

In my opinion, Spanish militaria outside the SCW era should be discussed in the Orders, Medals & Decorations of Belgium, France and other European Nations forum. Although Spain was not actually an axis nation, Blue Division should be discussed in the Axis Forces Militaria & History forum.

Best regards

• 6 years later...

Obverse. that cross was awarded to Admiral Lietzmann

Obverse. that cross was awarded to Admiral Lietzmann

Dear jacques, Really this is a Republican naval commander cross, as you can see by the "Mural" (Crenellated) crown above the cross...So it dates for sure between 1931 (1932 more accurate) and 1936...I don´t think that this german admiral get that cross after the civil war begin in july, 18, 1936)

Very beautiful, by the way...Probably give as some military/naval embassy aggregate...

Regards

miguel