News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

These are a couple of questions that have come-up in conversations recently - and, which I haven't been able to give an answer. Perhaps someone will be able to help - apart from that I think they are quite interesting.

Firstly : When were at Police College - for me Hendon - did we get paid ? When I was first posted to Bethnal Green I remember having to open an a/c at NatWest for a direct transfer - however, I don't recall getting anything - other then abuse - when at Hendon.

Secondly : On leaving the Force we received a certificate showing our service. A grading was given - which was important for exPolice looking to find a 'cushy number' in an office. I was shown as 'exemplary' - and I am told that there were five grades in total - what were the others ?

Doesn't anyone have something interesting to post before Christmas ?

Hello Mervyn.

1. We were paid by our home Forces while at Police College (Tulliallan).

2. The certificate gradings used to be 'Good', 'Very Good' and 'Exemplary'. Those who left 'under a cloud' received blank certificates. All of these categories have now been dispensed with, and everyone receives a bland certificate giving dates of service. This came about because some of those who performed in an 'Exemplary' manner in the Police were found performing rather less 'Exemplary' for later employers, who then mumped and moaned about the references provided by the Police. Human Rights I think they call it.

The "exemplary etc " gradings sound like the army gradings (I don't know if they still grade).

I actually received my police certificate about a week ago - 6 years late.

The only reason I wanted it was because when I retired I submitted the printed request for a reference - nuthin' happened. Nobody noticed I'd retired, to the extent of not paying me my pension. Some while later after I'd raised the pension issue I got a 'phone call asking me if I wanted an inscribed clock, decanter or whatever presented to me - I said I did'nt, I'd like the reference though - nuthin' happened.

I finally decided to ask for one again simply in terms of job applications & apparently what you get nowadays is a mock vellum certificate that just states you served for whatever period you served for.

Not something I wanted, but it's the closest thing you get to a reference.

The doing away with gradings would have had a lot to do with the risk of legal action & the like? Demands to know why somebody got an exempary while somebody else got a blank & that sort of thing?

Leigh - 'Old money' or, not - if they didn't pay me - then I want it.....

I may have only done 7 years before my Father died, but they were very happy ones. My old Relief have just had a reunion and sent me a very nice letter - I was very touched. Not many Reliefs can still be meeting 36 years after we all went our different ways.

I was sorry to hear that character references have gone - time the Governement stopped 'running scared' - I would have said it was very important that an exPolice Officer be shown for his background and trust-worthyness.

Leigh.

Your experience is typical of the police over the last 10 years or so...........how they treat (some of) their officers (we all know the obvious category exceptions :rolleyes: ) is diabolical.

Anyway, they can keep their tawdry localised bits of paper.

We all get an 'Exemplary' on this....................

post-153-044716100 1291925783_thumb.jpg

Edited by Robin Lumsden

I said it before Robin - you keep your medals - in an 'exemplary' manner.........

Going back to this business of retired police - there has been corres. on the pinned Canadian thread - about retired RCMP officers' carrying a badge for identification. I would be interested to hear more about this - and, the circumstances under which it may be used ? No-one would expect an older exOfficer to get involved in violence - however, I can see circumstances where he might want to identify himself to serving Police. After all, the experience doesn't disappear with retirement and a professional eye could be valuable in Court.

What do other members think ?

Mervyn,

Not really applicable to your discussion I guess, but here in the States, under a fairly recent federal law, honorably retired officers can obtain a special permit that allows them to carry a firearm. Many agencies here allow retired officers to retain their badges and photo ID.

Leigh - 'Old money' or, not - if they didn't pay me - then I want it.....

I may have only done 7 years before my Father died, but they were very happy ones. My old Relief have just had a reunion and sent me a very nice letter - I was very touched. Not many Reliefs can still be meeting 36 years after we all went our different ways.

I was sorry to hear that character references have gone - time the Governement stopped 'running scared' - I would have said it was very important that an exPolice Officer be shown for his background and trust-worthyness.

REF #5:

Hi Mervyn,

Thought I'd throw in my 2 cents (US$ :-) worth. One of the units I was assigned to during my USAF career was the Strategic Air Command (SAC) Elite Guard/Drill Team. We have held reunions for a number of years including some members from the 1950s. I invite all to visit our site http://www.saceliteguard.com/ and click on the "REUNIONS" link to read a little bit about the history. Some links will be restricted unless you are a member, but many allow access with links to pictures, videos, etc. Hope you can make time to visit and enjoy.

Ed

• 10 years later...

In the Western Australia Police, there was a truism which went 'The reason they give you a number is so they don't have to remember your name'.

• 2 weeks later...

Some old-timers "forget" they are retired. At a party  not so long ago.

Me: "Sid, you can't arrest me. First: you are as pissed as a fart. Second: you retired three years ago. The third reason shall remain confidential!."?