News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Portuguese Victory Medals

• Replies 255
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 3 weeks later...

This example of Vic Portugal was offered me. I believe to be the type manufactured by French firm of M. Delande (Paris)

Let me know what you think.

Lambert

Hello Lambert,

Are there any markings on the rim? If there is a BRONZE mark or any other makers mark that may indicate French production.

Regards,

Rob

Hi Rob,

Do not have marks on the edges.

I spoke with the seller, he tells me that this is the medal (Type 1), Manufacturing Portuguese (F. Costa - Lisbon), I understand that there is other alternatives from other manufacturers?

Lambert

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Gents,

Just after an ident to satisfy my curiosity. I came across this image while surfing - portvicunoffx.jpg (JPEG Image, 517×547 pixels)

The medal is only identified as 'Unofficial'. It seems to have the tapered cylinder suspension, so could be an Unofficial Type 2, but does not appear to have the 'cracked die' characteristics - do all Unoffical Type 2 medals have the cracks?

Any comments?

Bill

Hi Bill, from the photo it looks like a official type 2, but I could be wrong. What is of more interest to me is the barrel suspension, it looks like type found on the U.S. Vic's. Is this item foe sale?

Regards Jim

Hi Jim,

Many thanks for your comments. I found the image on the web site of a dealer in Australia - http://www.wittworldwide.com - it's shown as 'sold' on their site.

I was intrigued by the suspension, too - hence my question! There are also some differences in the detail - for instance, on the reverse the 'H' in 'MEDELHA' is different to all other examples I've seen, being narrower and with the horizontal bar curved upwards in the middle - certainly different from my example of the Official Type 2. I think on the obverse the wreath Victory is holding is bigger as well.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Recently a Portugese Victory Medal came in my possession but instead of being bronze it is in silver. My first thought is that it is a fake but I can't find anything that support it (or disprove it) on the internet. I tried other forums but they don't know it either so I hope that someone here can help me with the question if this is a Repro, Unofficial Type or ,best case scenario, an Official medal.

Since I haven't a good upload of my medal I use the only picture I could find of this silver medal that looks exactly like mine (including the synthetic looking ribbon) and it is located on the site: http://www.collector...eries--portugal

vmport.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hello, VC89

Welcome to the group, feel the desire to ask.

The MV Portugal, in my opinion, is one of the most copied medals, what little researched (with the help of this forum) I can say that these are modern copies of private manufacturing, Repro not consider unofficial. Possibly medals were made to supply the local market.

Please take this as personal opnion. And any member of GMIC, may disagree or add comments

Regards

Lambert

Welcome VC89, and thanks for showing this photo. Certainly, at least one French medal manufacturer offered silver-plated or gilt versions, for those wanting some extra bling, so this Portuguese one could be similar. There is something odd around the head of Victory, though. On the web page you link to, the first photo, with the version with the narrow cylinder suspension is also interesting.

Bill

• 2 months later...

Hi there

I am a new member in the forum, and I would like your opinion to this MV that Became in my possession in these days...I am not so sure that this is a real Portuguese VM or a variation? a fake?...can anybody help me? is the ribbon genuine, the suspension does not look like the normal version, and the ring also doesnt look like the normal one...any help ???

nfrzua.jpg

Edited by peron

Hi Peron,

Nice photos of your medal. I think it's an Unofficial Type 1, with an unusual narrow cylinder suspension, made by the Portuguese firm Casa Buttuller.

It's got a buckle with a large Combatant star, but I haven't seen a ribbon like that before.

Bill

Thanks a lot...I was worry that it would be a fake...this week I will go to the Buttuller house to see if they ever sold this version (just to corroborate your teory) I live in Lisbon and I know that store of medals in Lisbon downtown...

Thanks

And by the way...this is a picture of another Portuguese victory medal that I have side by side with other medals that belonged to a portuguese officer during the 1º WW

alt9q1.jpg

281rfio.jpg

2iu3uqx.jpg

1z4l404.jpg

Only the medal it self...

2vuih7d.jpg

Edited by peron

Hi there

I am a new member in the forum, and I would like your opinion to this MV that Became in my possession in these days...I am not so sure that this is a real Portuguese VM or a variation? a fake?...can anybody help me? is the ribbon genuine, the suspension does not look like the normal version, and the ring also doesnt look like the normal one...any help ???

Hello peron,

Welcome to the forum and to this area. I am sure that you will find much to read and enjoy about the fascinating area of victory medals.

It is good to have another member from Portugal amonst the group.

Regards,

Rob

Thanks

And by the way...this is a picture of another Portuguese victory medal that I have side by side with other medals that belonged to a portuguese officer during the 1º WW

What a lovely group. Thanks for posting this.

Regards,

Rob

I will go on a holiday to Portugal soon and will visit Lissabon. Any adresses were i can find some nice Portuguese VM's?

Thanks in advance,,

Herman

Hi

Ah,Ah,Ah...Hey genuine portuguese VM dont grow at trees here!!!!! ;) .If you have lucky maybe in some of the flee market arround and in Lisbon...There are some flee market, but the main one is feira da Ladra...but if you go there (this is a tip) go very early in the morning so you may find some good pieces but as I sayed it is a lucky gess...I do know a portuguese medal dealer that sells genuine portuguese military medals and in fact even at this moment he as a portuguese VM on sale on e-bay. Once in a while I buy him some medals...

Best regards

P.