Portuguese Victory Medals

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Peron,

Here's the set of medals that belonged to a portuguese officer ...

A nice group to the officer it is. It is particularly good in that the campaign medal shows service in Angola as well as later service in France (and at the Battle of Lys). The Portuguese campaign in the colony in Angola is often forgotten in comparison to the stalemate warfare in France.

Regards,
Rob

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Does anyone know if there are multiple variants signed by DaSilva? I have come across a variant I hadn't previously seen with his name impressed, plus the date MCMXIX and some other die differences from the official type 1 as described in Laslo's book.

Thanks for the responses. Just for my own education, how can you tell it's fake and not just another rare variety? My first thought was that it was the extremely rare type 1, which I realized it wasn't after I looked at the date, positions of the impressions, and suspension. Other than that, it has about the same level of quality of some of the unofficials.

Hello David,

The Portuguese official type 1 vic is probably one of the rarest varieties to obtain. Depending on which collector/source you refer to there were quite a limited number produced. There are distinct obverse and reverse differences compared to the official type 2.

For reference there is an example posted on Pierre-Yves Raynier's website at:

http://www.medailles1914-1918.fr/portugal-interal.html

Regards,
Rob

Edited by RobW

Hello Peron,

And what about this model? Opinions? fake? reestrike?

To echo Bill's comments; this example was produced by the French firm of M.Delande. It is now becoming much more difficult to find in good condition.

Regards,
Rob

Hello David,

I hope these illustrations will help. Top view (obverse & reverse) is from my book. The bottom left is the one on ebay and the other which matches the one on ebay.

If not sure and need help, In my book, I have over 120 (obverse & reverse) views of just inter-allied medals.

Edited by johnnymac