News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Turkish Honor Medal

Obergefreiter

I am getting involved in a project. I have tracked down the Austrian, Hungarian, and Bulgarian versions of the post-war Hindenburg Cross; is there a Turkish version? Is it commone or rare?

Hi,

The Turkish War Medal was issued (1.3.1915) during the 1st W.W and it is the equilavent of the Iron Cross.

After that only Independence War medal was issued by Law 66 dated 29.11.1920 it was given to those participated into the indepence war.

demir

Hi,

The Turkish War Medal was issued (1.3.1915) during the 1st W.W and it is the equilavent of the Iron Cross.

After that only Independence War medal was issued by Law 66 dated 29.11.1920 it was given to those participated into the indepence war.

demir

Thank you, Demir. Do you have a picture of one? Do they come in different grades or orders?

Thank you, Demir. Do you have a picture of one? Do they come in different grades or orders?

Hi Please check GMIC page : Turkey

Turkish Republic Decorations Not Ottoman by Dave Danner

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=15012&st=0&p=146630&hl=+independence%20+medal&fromsearch=1&#entry146630

for the Independence Medal and 3 types given to soldiers and civilians

an for the Turkish War medal pictures and definitions please read mine and other threads in Turkey section.

Regard

demir

I am getting involved in a project. I have tracked down the Austrian, Hungarian, and Bulgarian versions of the post-war Hindenburg Cross; is there a Turkish version? Is it commone or rare?

I have the idea that matters are being mixed. An egg is not an apple, though they take a similar shape.

First of all, the naming Hindenburg Cross, is a nomenclature for 3 cross shapend medals, all issued during the government of the German Predident Paul von Hindenburg. One type for combattants, one for non-combattants and one for widows and next of kin.

The medal was instituted to replace the many semi-official and non-official medals that were issued after the conclusion of the war, to reward all who were participants and/or affected by the war

The Turkish War Medal was of a completely different standing, and not a general token of involvement. Thus, I feel that the TWM is not to be compared to the Hindenburg Cross.

Besides, the Turkish people, being mainly Muslims, would not easily carry a cross-shaped and therefore in origine Christian badge.

Edited by Odulf

I have the idea that matters are being mixed. An egg is not an apple, though they take a similar shape.

First of all, the naming Hindenburg Cross, is a nomenclature for 3 cross shapend medals, all issued during the government of the German Predident Paul von Hindenburg. One type for combattants, one for non-combattants and one for widows and next of kin.

The medal was instituted to replace the many semi-official and non-official medals that were issued after the conclusion of the war, to reward all who were participants and/or affected by the war

The Turkish War Medal was of a completely different standing, and not a general token of involvement. Thus, I feel that the TWM is not to be compared to the Hindenburg Cross.

Besides, the Turkish people, being mainly Muslims, would not easily carry a cross-shaped and therefore in origine Christian badge.

Hi,

You are right I misunderstood the question. There is no relation between the Turkish medals and the Hindenburg medal. As you say its shape is cross and would not be a type of a medal the Ottomans might consider to issue. On the other hand Ottoman officers wore the iron cross. So taking in to consideration your thread I can say that Ottomans did not issue a medal resembling the Hindenburg Cross.

:beer:

Edited by demir