News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pakistan medal ID required

gongz

Hello all

I am looking for positive identification and information for this silver medal, 42mm wide.

What does the text on the suspender mean in English, and from what ribbon would it be suspended ?

Regards

Graeme

post-2563-088913200 1292880169_thumb.jpg

post-2563-039580500 1292880186_thumb.jpg

Hello Graeme,

This is listed in the book, "Medals Catalogue of Pakistan" by Yahya Qureshi and Rafiq Kasbati under the section dealing with Pakistan Police, United Nations and Other Medals (pg. 42). There is not much information regarding this medal but it identifies it as, "Sitara-i-Basalat" and says, "This is old desigh of Sitara-i-Basalat".

From what I can make out from the photograph in the book the ribbon has a central dark blue stripe with a red stripe on each side of the central stripe with light blue stripes as the borders. As to the traslation I can not be of any assistance at all.

I hope this gives you a point of reference from which to continue your research. Please keep us posted with what you discover as time passes and I will do the same.

Regards

Brian

Sitara-i-Basalat is described in the Pakistani Army's booklet as follows: It is a gallantry award and is admissible to all ranks for acts of valour, courage and devotion to duty though not on active operations against the enemy.

Hugh

Sitara-i-Basalat is described in the Pakistani Army's booklet as follows: It is a gallantry award and is admissible to all ranks for acts of valour, courage and devotion to duty though not on active operations against the enemy.

Hugh

Well done Hugh.

Regards

Brian

Here's an example of Tamgha-i-Basalat I picked up in Pakistan in the '80's. Although I don't read Urdu, the inscription looks similar. I believe it's an early version.

It's named to 946 Gp. Capt. T. H. Merchant. I'd be glad to have any background anyone may have on him.

The Pakistani orders follow the following order of precedence:

Nishan-i-Basalat - Grand Cross (Nishan = Banner)

Sitara-i-Basalat - Commander (Sitara = Star)

Hilal-i-Basalat - Knight (Hilal - crescent)

Tamgha-i-Basalat - Medal (Tamgha - medal)

Best,

Hugh

post-1655-030741000 1292958664_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hugh

Hello Hugh and Brian

Many thanks for your information.

I am a little confused with the ribbon colours. Are the outer stripes light blue, or silver? Similarly the central stripe - is it dark blue, or black ? There appears to be so much variation in printed colours that it is very hard to tell what is what !

Regards

Graeme

Hello Hugh and Brian

Many thanks for your information.

I am a little confused with the ribbon colours. Are the outer stripes light blue, or silver? Similarly the central stripe - is it dark blue, or black ? There appears to be so much variation in printed colours that it is very hard to tell what is what !

Regards

Graeme

Both are blue. The light blue represents the PAF and the dark blue the Navy. Very similar to the UK '39-45 medal.

Hugh

Again, many thanks....

It looks exactly the same as the Australian Champion Shot Medal ribbon - probably easier for me to get !!!

Merry Christmas to all, from here - still on top of the world in New Zealand ....lol

Graeme

Both are blue. The light blue represents the PAF and the dark blue the Navy. Very similar to the UK '39-45 medal.

Hugh

Again, many thanks....

It looks exactly the same as the Australian Champion Shot Medal ribbon - probably easier for me to get !!!

Merry Christmas to all, from here - still on top of the world in New Zealand ....lol

Graeme

Hello Graeme,

I hope you mean that you are in good spirits otherwise, like Stuart in Australia,

you have your globe mounted the wrong way around. ;)

Cheers

Brian