News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Royal Fusiliers 9th BN.

Hello,

I'm researching a Victory Medal to Frank Chapman, a private in the Royal Fusiliers 9th BN who was killed on 19.02.1916. He is remembered at the Loos Memorial in France. Could anyone tell me where his unit was at the time of his death? I'm sure this is an obvious question but please bear with me as I have no experience researching British medals. I've had Private Chapman's medal for over 20 years - I found it in an antique store in Michigan and bought it for $3.00 USD. I didn't know about the CWGC website until tonight and was surprised when I found Private Chapman on it. I'd like to find out more as a tribute to him.

Thanks for any help or direction you can give me!

Doug

• 2 weeks later...

Doug,

In brief the 9th(Service)Battalion, Royal Fusiliers were formed as part of Kitcheners "New Army" at Hounslow on the 21st August 1914, and formed part of 36th Brigade/12th(Eastern)Division. The Brigade consited of the following units;-

36th Bde

8th(Service)Bn, R.Fusiliers.

9th(Service)Bn, R.Fusiliers.

7th(Service)Bn, Royal Sussex Regiment.

11th(Service)Bn, Middlesex Regiment.

In November 1914 the Battalion along with the others of 36th Bde moved to Hythe and then onto Aldershot, Hampshire in February 1915. At the end of May 1915 the whole of 12th(Eastern)Division proceded overseas to France and began concentrating south of St. Omer on the 1st June 1915. On the 5th June the Division as a whole advanced and joined III Corps.

The 12th(Eastern)Division took part in the following actions in 1915;- "Battle of Loos"(1st - 8th October); "The Quarries"(13th - 19th October).

By the end of the Great War the 12th(Eastern) Division had gained 6 V.C.'s and 3,053 other honours and had lost 41,363 officers and men killed, wounded and missing.

Sorry Doug I'm unable to give the exact location of the 9th Bn,R.F. on the day he was killed, but do know the next major action by the Division wasn't until March 1916.

I do have the full Order of Battle of the Division and if it's required let me know and I'll forward an e.mail address.

Graham.

Doug,

In brief the 9th(Service)Battalion, Royal Fusiliers were formed as part of Kitcheners "New Army" at Hounslow on the 21st August 1914, and formed part of 36th Brigade/12th(Eastern)Division. The Brigade consited of the following units;-

36th Bde

8th(Service)Bn, R.Fusiliers.

9th(Service)Bn, R.Fusiliers.

7th(Service)Bn, Royal Sussex Regiment.

11th(Service)Bn, Middlesex Regiment.

In November 1914 the Battalion along with the others of 36th Bde moved to Hythe and then onto Aldershot, Hampshire in February 1915. At the end of May 1915 the whole of 12th(Eastern)Division proceded overseas to France and began concentrating south of St. Omer on the 1st June 1915. On the 5th June the Division as a whole advanced and joined III Corps.

The 12th(Eastern)Division took part in the following actions in 1915;- "Battle of Loos"(1st - 8th October); "The Quarries"(13th - 19th October).

By the end of the Great War the 12th(Eastern) Division had gained 6 V.C.'s and 3,053 other honours and had lost 41,363 officers and men killed, wounded and missing.

Sorry Doug I'm unable to give the exact location of the 9th Bn,R.F. on the day he was killed, but do know the next major action by the Division wasn't until March 1916.

I do have the full Order of Battle of the Division and if it's required let me know and I'll forward an e.mail address.

Graham.

Thanks for the great information. I appreciate your efforts.

All the best,

Doug

• 1 year later...

Pte 8333 F Chapman,

Born Camden Town, London,

Resided Shepherd's Bush,

Killed In Action France & Flanders 19/2/06

He is one of 1,300 Other Ranks & 53 officers (& the only "Chapman" listed as 9th Bn Royal Fusilier fatalities listed in "Soldiers Died".

The 12th Division relieved the Guards Division east & north of Loos in September 1915 & later played a major role in the capture of the quarries at Hulluch, leaving the area in November but returning in February 1916 to take over positions holding the quarries & Hohenzollern sectors.

Edited by leigh kitchen