News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Chris,

Very nice. These are like canteens to me, that is, I just can't stop picking them up. Help! :) I especially like the obscure makers and the unit marked aluminum cups.

PS If you would like to pass them along, let me know.

Chip

Edited by Chip

I've got one without the spout and with a maker mark on the handle-retaining bracket that reads:

SUDD. METALLW. FBK

MUSSBACH

It is also unit marked to JR 32 (IR 32).

Somewhere (probably in the cellar) I have a couple with spouts, but I don't recall them having any maker or unit marks.

Field equipment is alarmingly addictive, but I seem to have my habit under control, although I have must have 4 or 5 mess tin sets, one of which was made by WMF in 1918.

One of mine is made by "D.W.& M." at "Karlsruhe" (no date) and is unit marked "III.S.B.M. 1911". Two others are unit marked "104R" and "86R". The latter has no pour spout.

Chip

PS The Kraus book shows an aluminum Probe cup and it has no pour spout either!

Edited by Chip

One thing I have noticed?. When I was in the army we had aluminium cups under our water bottles? they conduct heat wonderfully? so much so that they are usually to hot to drink out of. By the time the aluminium has cooled down, so has your coffee.

The Brits had a great system with a detachable plastic rim around the cup?.

• 2 weeks later...

Chip,

Is "51.R.5.C.54." a standard code for marking property?

RIR 51 and 5. Kompagnie (or 5. Compagnie using an older spelling) make sense to me.

Does the "54" stand for the soldier's number on the company roll or is it simply an issue number for the item?

Thanks in advance,

David

David,

These equipment markings are issue marks and the marks pertain to the piece, not to the soldier it is issued to. There is some correlation made between the equipment markings and the issuee, but that would have been done on paper.

Chip

• 2 months later...

Since there does not appear to be any markings and the rivets are done differently I would say this last one is Reichswehr or TR. The "canteen cup" designation is also a misnomer, in imperial times the cup was carried in the breadbag. It was not until the 30's that a provision was made for the cup to be worn on top of the canteen. I have a version without spout marked "Wuertt. Met. Fabr." and marked "12 A.F." to the 12th Artillerie Regt. zu Fuss. Since it is not dated it was made before the war. I have an emameled one marked "Gebr. Bing 16".

Chris,

Yours with the scratched marking is probably the soldiers initials "P.P."and that he belonged to the 6th Comp. of the 65th Regiment "6/65". Probably infantry, but there is no way to say for sure.

Edited by Daniel Murphy

While I agree that this cup is most likely from a later period, I don't see any definitive reason why it could not be from the WWI period. In my experience, these cups came with manufacturer's marks and dates, with manufacturer's marks and no date or with no markings at all. The rivets are a bit different, but that could easily be chalked off to manufacturer's peculiarities. As an example of existing peculiarities, most of these aluminum cups had pour spouts, but a fair amount of them (like Daniel's example) did not. We don't know why.

I have four marked aluminum cups. Three have dates (1910, 1911 and 1914) and the fourth is not maker marked, but does have a unit marking (104R.). I have yet to see what I could call a definite wartime dated example (that is, 1915 dated). They should exist, as the tinned steel version did not arrive until June of 1915. It is unclear what was being manufactured between the orders for the end of the use of aluminum in October of 1914 and the first Probe pieces of the tinned steel version, though I suspect the aluminum pieces had to be continued until the substitute was ready.

There was a canteen cup during WWI and it was found on the Labeflasche (Sanit?ter canteen), strapped to the top. The cups were originally made from aluminum, but were changed to tinned steel in the summer of 1915.

Chip

Edited by Chip

• 7 months later...
    • 1 year later...

This is my only cup. It does not have a pouring spout. It's marked only with the manufacturer "Basse & Fischer, L?denscheid". I found it at a flea market in Norway.

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

• 6 years later...

Here are a few examples of Hersteller marks from the Internet. I am also including a list of Hersteller that has appeared on various forums. If you have any additions for names or dates not mentioned on the list, I would be pleased to know about them.

Chip

Aluminium trinkbecher.doc