The back. The belt strap was supposed to be slipped through the loop underneath to form the belt loop. This one was never worn that way.

IPB Image

....and another set of flaps. Notice the buttonholes were done with red ochre thread.

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Which open to reveal the filter. Notice that this one was carried out of the can which accounts for the paint chips and dings.

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

And the bottom seal. This is a different type without the wax paper. C'mon, you don't think I would cheat and show the same filter twice do you? :unsure:

IPB Image

Edited by Daniel Murphy

Daniel,

I have taken the terminology from Kraus' books. Years ago, when I did my first article on the subject, little was known about the correct terminology or the chronology of use of the various pieces of German anti-gas equipment. Reenactors at the time were calling the bag a Saccule, which just did not sound right to me, so I never used the term in my writings. Kraus did his homework and came up with the actual official names used during the period. Given that new information, I went back to the posting on the "Before 1919.." website and updated my information.

These pieces are shown in Johan Somer's new book, "Imperial German Field Uniforms and Equipment 1907-1918".

I have also seen this Stofftasche f?r Atemeinsatz 1917 in the aforementioned ligher weight, red canvas material.

Chip

hey Guys! I was looking at the straps on my gas mask. I don't have any others to compare to but it looks like an incomplete repair was done. When i put it on tonight the strap in the front does not go back all the way to connect with the other straps.

Take a look and what can anyone report?

Mike

Mike,

Obviously, that strap should be attached. Is it repairable?

Chip

Well yes but I will need to add something to it so it will fit. I can just sew it on but I don't have any period materials. I got the mask from Great War militaria. Think I paid a bit too much for it considering.

Mike

Chris,

I think once you get over five of these it is considered an official mania. :unsure:

Chip

Chris,

I think once you get over five of these it is considered an official mania. :unsure:

Chip

Naaahhh.... you can have 15 if you want and it still wont officially be mania unless you keep em in the bedroom. :rolleyes:

Chris,

Those don't look like living room displays to me! :lol:

Chip

What would you guys say a cloth mask should cost compared to a leather one...

and secondly, how many leather ones do you see for each cloth one?

Best

Chris

Chris,

The early rigs bring more, but that just may be because the Italians buy them as examples of what the Austrians normally wore. :rolleyes: It is hard to judge how much more the Gummimaske are worth. If you go by prices on E-bay, I think you get somewhat of a skewed view. But generally speaking, I would say that the difference would be about $75.00-$100.00 if the two were similarly complete sets in comparable condition. Regarding scarcity, I think I would see about ten or more leather masks for every Gummimaske. Of course, that is here in the U.S. and that is most likely effected by the fact that by the time our troops began souveniring masks (1918 basically), the Gummimaske were about gone from the field.

Chip

Chris,

The early rigs bring more, but that just may be because the Italians buy them as examples of what the Austrians normally wore. :rolleyes: It is hard to judge how much more the Gummimaske are worth. If you go by prices on E-bay, I think you get somewhat of a skewed view. But generally speaking, I would say that the difference would be about $75.00-$100.00 if the two were similarly complete sets in comparable condition. Regarding scarcity, I think I would see about ten or more leather masks for every Gummimaske. Of course, that is here in the U.S. and that is most likely effected by the fact that by the time our troops began souveniring masks (1918 basically), the Gummimaske were about gone from the field.

Chip

I also think the leather ones stay supple and seldom fall to pieces.

Gummi masks, whether British, German, US or French seem not to stand the test of time... just bought 2 French ones that are torn and crumbling to pieces :-(

In 20 years a Gummi mask will seem like the ultimate rarity.