News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Does Anyone Know Where These People's Medals Are?

All:

I'm trying to track down some award groups to British generals from WW2. I am certain that some of them have to be in museums somewhere! Part of the task is also figuring out who some of these guys are (those marked with "?") Some are instantly recognizable, others are unknown to me. Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

Dave

Here's the list, almost all containing just last names, and the spelling may or may not be right as they were phonetically transliterated:

Alexander (Field Marshal)

U. M. Biverbruck (?)

A. Bruck (?)

A. Harris

O. Littleton (?)

B. L. Montgomery

D. Tovey (?)

B. Freizer (?)

T. L. Mallory

G. D. Krirar (from Canada) (?)

U. M. Biverbruck (?)

A. Bruck (?)

A. Harris

O. Littleton (?)

B. L. Montgomery

D. Tovey (?)

B. Freizer (?)

T. L. Mallory

G. D. Krirar (from Canada) (?)

Dave,

The names should probably read as follows:

U. M. Beaverbrook

A. Brook

A. Harris

O. Littleton (?)

B. L. Montgomery

D. Tovey (?)

B. Frazer

T. L. Mallory

G. D. Crerar (from Canada)

David

General H.D.G. Crerar

College No. 749

PC, CH, CB, DSO, CD, ADC

Crerar graduated from RMC in 1909. He served as a artillery officer in the First World War and held various appointments in the years between the wars. He was Commandant of RMC when war broke out again in 1939. Crerar commanded the First Canadian Army from 1944 to 1945.

Best guess: Crerar's gongs are either at Royal Military College (RMC), Kingston, Ontario, Canada or in the Canadian War Museum. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Hope this is some small help

Dave,

Are you sure it's D Tovey ? Because theres the famous Admiral Tovey, a Jack I think that springs to mind.

I'm certain that's it. Thanks! Transliterated into Russian, "Jack" would be "Djak", which when going from Cyrillic back into English would end up as an initial "D" vice "J". Any clue where Jack Tovey's medals might be???

:cheers:

Dave

The Trafford Leigh Mallory and Arthur Harris groups are at the RAFM at Hendon.

Wonder about Beaverbrook tho'. Are you talking about Lord Beaverbrook the paper magnate and wartime Minister for Aircraft Production?

Edited by jonny956

Wonder about Beaverbrook tho'. Are you talking about Lord Beaverbrook the paper magnate and wartime Minister for Aircraft Production?

I'm guessing that sounds like it could be the right guy! According to my search, his initials were W. M. and the "W" when transliterated would normally end up as a "V", but in this case it may well have ended up as a "U". Now that I know that's him, I wonder where his stuff went....

Dave

Edited by NavyFCO

Now that I know that's him, I wonder where his stuff went....

Dave

Dave

Beaverbrook die in England but his ashes are in Fredrickton, New Brunswick, Canada, in the base of a statue to him. (He was a local paperboy made good!) There is also a Beaverbrook Gallery there with a very good collection of art he acquired and later donated but also, apparently some stuff in England, where his (bankrupt) grandson is trying to re-coup the family fortunes. Try looking for "The Beaverbrook Foundation", which administers his estate and many charities, and see what info they have.

Peter

Try looking for "The Beaverbrook Foundation", which administers his estate and many charities, and see what info they have.

Thanks Peter!

For all:

I've gotten in touch with the RMC museum and RAF Herndon and both have been extremely helpful to me in my search. Thanks for all the help thus far!

Dave

You're correct.

You will find attached what the Imperial War Museum says about it.

That's why some of the medals exhibited are replacement ones, and notably the WW1 ones. But it remains that most orders are original.

Ch.

Pic : ? Christophe ? ChR Collection