News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

BS/PH to KIA co C 327th Engineers combat bn

scottplen

Really nice group to a combat engineer.

I don't know if you found it yet, but his battalion has a decent website (link below).

According to the After Action report, he was apparently a member of 3rd Platoon. On that day the company sent three trucks and a 12 man detail to the Battalion Supply Officer to haul mines. In the afternoon they prepared to activate the mines in a previously laid belt when two of the platoon's recon members became casualties, believed to be an AT mine stepped on. The work wasn't continued as a result.

He was from Kalamazoo, Michigan.

http://www.327engineer.com

HR

Thanks for link ! That is a great site found a company picture and after action report for his death!!

Acccourding to his IDPF his body was moved to permant cemetery in Holland and his remains were stated as a pile of fractured bones !!!

and no head could be found!!! Ugh !!! That poor guy! Hope it was instant death !!

Did you find out who the other casualty was? I wonder if he made it, and if he's still alive.

I also wonder if it was a US mine or a German/Axis mine that was stepped on (or if it was really an AT mine and not perhaps a booby trap or something else).

HR

HR

No still trying to figure out other KIA that day I know 2 were killed ! I have all the KIA s for this unit from roster from website but

searched a bit online with named from overseas cemitaries but nothing!! I think i will try to emalingl someone from website ?

From IDPF letter from commanding officier 1st lt george w hammer of co C 327th engr. c. bn.

1)I undersigned do certify that the remains which i have personally viewed are those of S/Sgt Robert D schindler 16088240

2) My ID is based on peresonal acquaintance covering a period of 19 days

3) REMARKS: this man was a member of a reconnaissance party which were following bounderies of an Anti-tank minefield.

in process of making visual inspection he stepped on a MULTIPLE mine .

So not sure if german or american mine ? and what is a multiple mine????

so there must of been nothing left of him I assume that his head was down inspecting mine that his head was blown off !!!

I know the head was never recovered or lost at burial???according to his IDPF head was not in grave when reburied just some fractured bone fragments!!!

No I was hoping it would have othe KIAs name but no????

I will keep searching though !!!!

Perhaps the other guy wasn't killed, though I suppose the other guy could have been killed & may be buried in a non-government related cemetery (which would result in him not being in the ABMC & the National Gravesite locators).

Multiple seems to suggest a daisy chained style grouping of mines, i.e. one soldier steps on a mine, which is connected to other mines. When that mine detonates, so do the others (or they can detonate in staggered timings, though I do not recall if they had those in WW2). It could also have had an added, improvised explosive as well. Who knows. The various pretty much stuck anything in the ground that would maim or kill back then (how times haven't changed...). Such a chain of mines could easily take out a couple of soldiers and do some horrific damage, particularly if the timing was staggered for the chain. A mine could have killed him and another nearby could have wreaked further destruction on his remains. Hrm.

That site may not have all the docs for the unit though. Perhaps there's a morning report with more info...

HR

Perhaps the other guy wasn't killed, though I suppose the other guy could have been killed & may be buried in a non-government related cemetery (which would result in him not being in the ABMC & the National Gravesite locators).

Multiple seems to suggest a daisy chained style grouping of mines, i.e. one soldier steps on a mine, which is connected to other mines. When that mine detonates, so do the others (or they can detonate in staggered timings, though I do not recall if they had those in WW2). It could also have had an added, improvised explosive as well. Who knows. The various pretty much stuck anything in the ground that would maim or kill back then (how times haven't changed...). Such a chain of mines could easily take out a couple of soldiers and do some horrific damage, particularly if the timing was staggered for the chain. A mine could have killed him and another nearby could have wreaked further destruction on his remains. Hrm.

That site may not have all the docs for the unit though. Perhaps there's a morning report with more info...

HR

I emailed site they do have morning reports for 1944 listed but not 1945 ! I wrote and asked if they have jan 45 reports so fingers crossed!!!

Found through internet research ! there were 6 KIAs from Co C. 327th Eng. combat bn.

Which one was the one Killed with Schindler???

Sgt Robert D shindler 1-10-1945

Pvt Henry S Gurbizs No date of Death yet this could be him?

Pfc Amzy E Hibler 5-5-1945

Tec5 Leroy D Chappell 2-9-1945

Tec5 Clareance E Privett 1-12-1945 Was He KIA OR DOW ??? could be him if he died of wounds???

Tec5 Francis A Warnick 12-12-1944

So could be Pvt Henry S Gurbizs or Tec 5 Clarence E Privatt if he died of wounds????