News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Order of the Sacred Treasure

hunyadi

I saw this at the common auction site and the price was less than $20 and it had the case - so it was a PURE impulse buy. When I got it in had I was rather struck smitten by it. I never thought I would ever collect Japanese items, but this is very amazing in quality and detail. I like things in a case and this case though mass produced has quality, secondly the order itself = though I think its the lowest class - still has extreme quality. I dont know anything about Japanese medals, but I think the collection will grow soon. If anyone can look at the images and give me more information (time period manufacute, what they were awarded for, etc...) I would greatly appreciate it.

post-1879-068261200 1295111319_thumb.jpg

This is the 8th Class of the Order of the Sacred Treasure. The box is from the Meiji period but the medal is later (Showa period). In other words, the box is from before 1910 but the medal is from the 1930s. The earlier medals had different die details around the size of the central mirror and the size of the arms between the circles that represent jewels. Notwithstanding this you got a good deal. Anything under $30 for this is a very reasonable price.

You have now started on a slippery slope ! Japanese orders and medals are very well made and attractive. The cases are actually hand assembled, even though they are mass produced.

The Sacred Treasure tended to be used as a long service decoration. The 8th class was awarded to enlisted men after 20 years service, and to low ranking civil servants or public servants (teachers etc) for similar periods of devotion to duty. Even though it is junior to the Order of the Rising Sun it was awarded less.

If you want any help putting together a collection of Japanese orders and medals then let me know and I will assist.

Cheers,

Paul

Yes, a nice example and at a very good price! To add to the success, you actually picked one with a maker's mark on the lower reverse, which are less commonly seen compare to those unmarked! Congrats! :cheers:

As Paul already stated, be careful as it's a slippery slope.

On the medal die differences between Meiji, Showa and in some cases, Tashio era awards, it gets more difficult to tell and I wish there were more definitive answers out there to help distingush these features as many Japanese ODM's for sale are often "put-togethers" in order to sell as a set.

Very nice start! :beer:

Tim

I saw this at the common auction site and the price was less than $20 and it had the case - so it was a PURE impulse buy. When I got it in had I was rather struck smitten by it. I never thought I would ever collect Japanese items, but this is very amazing in quality and detail. I like things in a case and this case though mass produced has quality, secondly the order itself = though I think its the lowest class - still has extreme quality. I dont know anything about Japanese medals, but I think the collection will grow soon. If anyone can look at the images and give me more information (time period manufacute, what they were awarded for, etc...) I would greatly appreciate it.

HA! You've been "bitten"! :lol: Your first Japanese award, sounds like it won't be your last! I especially like the case on your award - the kanji for 8 (八) is a form less often seen as compared to others, at least from my observations.

Edited by Dieter3

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely with earlier, Meiji-era awards, and based on observations of medals sold with certificates, somewhere into at least the early Taisho-era, though I'm not sure how far. Again, based merely on observations, and ONLY if the award/document combinations were honestly matched. It looks like at least somewhere in the 1920s, awards were coupled with the lapel buttons, but could be earlier. You'll also find these awards with gray ribbons, or those showing much more blue hues, a nice variety. You do see mixtures of ribbon colors and bow colors too - here's one I got that is a gray color bow. Another thing I love about these awards is there is so much variety within just a single class of award! There must literally be dozens and dozens of variants across the entire spectrum of Sacred Treasures from early to late. cheers.gif

Well, if i was guessing - I'd say you're right, the one you think is 7th is what I'd say too, at least it looks like faint traces of gold are there in the photo. Do you have a photo of the reverse?

Well, if i was guessing - I'd say you're right, the one you think is 7th is what I'd say too, at least it looks like faint traces of gold are there in the photo. Do you have a photo of the reverse?

Here we go

I am wondering all the time why japanese couldn't add numbers to the orders/medals (like for example it is the case with russian medals/orders) it eases determination of both date and class ... though if there were numbers we could have nothing to talk about on forums )))

Pictures of both orders were taken under same condition by the same camera

P.S. wanted to list it on ebay but was not sure what to write .... either 7th or 8th

1_3-1.jpg

Edited by lilbit

Hmmmm......well, it does look like there are gold accents on the round ends there. I suspect it is a seventh class, but as you said with the eighth class case. Not sure how I'd list that one for sale. You might list as an eight and then add of course that you suspect it could be 7th class. When in doubt, I would default to the lower class.

I can see the advantages of having pieces serialized, but you're right - that'd take some of the fun guesswork out of it! :lol: Some of the more worn pieces can be confusing, especially the lower class of the Sacred Treasures, Golden Kites, and Auspicious Clouds - where they're pretty much the same thing except for the gold plating.

The gold effect may only be tarnish. If it is polished I suspect it will come up silver since it looks too weak to be a gilt finish on a real 7th class.

Paul,

I read somewhere that it may be a tarnish.

Do you know the best way to polish the medal and not to damage it?

TIA