News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WHO WAS HE ?

Mervyn Mitton

I recently showed - British Wars - some early photos from West Africa. Amongst these was the photo shown here - we know his identity, it is written on the back - however, the question remains. What did he do and what uniform is he wearing ? To me it could be a British Colonial style from the 2nd. Boer War (1899-1902). Can anyone help ?

post-6209-076994100 1295348441_thumb.jpg

Family:

Marriage: 6 JAN 1862 in Colesberg

Spouse:

Von Lilienstein, Ida Carolina Johanna

Parents:

Father: Von Lilienstein, Carl Arthur

Children:

Green, Henry Aitchison

Green, Frank Jordan Home

Green, Ida Margaret Catherine

Green, Alice Maud Caroline

Birth : 11 AUG 1867 Colesberg

Death : JUN 1870 Colesberg

Green, Arthur von Lilienstein Kisch

Green, Percy

Birth : 1871

Death : 5 JAN 1873

Green, Edith Susanna

Green, Winifred Florence

Mervyn,

Some more info about Arthur Green: born in Colesberg 3 Feb 1869; married Maria Louw 1906?; 5 children; died 27 Apr 1918.

Father was Henry Green, British Resident in the Orange River Sovereignty (later Orange Free State), who married Count Carl von Lilienstein's daughter Ida. Henry has an entry in Wikipedia, also on a Green family website:

Sources:

http://archiver.root...6-01/1137483434

http://en.wikipedia....ish_Resident%29

http://hayesgreene.wordpress.com/2008/01/19/found-ida-carolina-von-lilienstein-wife-of-henry-green/

The question now is : what was his military unit? The photo shows two pips on each shoulder which could mean captain (up to 1902) or lieutenant (after 1902), but nary a sign of a unit badge. A town guard perhaps?

Fascinating history Arthur - and links to an important German family. I note that one name includes the word Graf. I always understood that stood for a Duke in German ? Perhaps they have a family link to one ?

You rightly point out that the mystery is whose uniform is he wearing ? Only the buttons might give a hint - but, even on enlargement I can't make out any details ?

I note that one name includes the word Graf. I always understood that stood for a Duke in German ? Perhaps they have a family link to one ?

Mervyn,

'Graf' is German for 'count' (or 'earl' in UK terminology). 'Duke' is 'Herzog'. The German system is somewhat different from the UK system, in that whereas in the UK only the current head of the family bears the title, in Germany all members share the title.

I hadn't thought about the buttons. Enlarged to 200%, one of them looks vaguely like the Cape Colony coat of arms, which would have been a general service pattern, so no pointer to a specific unit there. The Cape Archives online catalogue yields nothing for him, but his name may perhaps lie buried in a nominal roll somewhere. Given that Colesberg is a long way from any town that had a volunteer corps in those days, but is very close to the OFS border, a local town guard-type unit might be a possibility.

Fascinating history Arthur - and links to an important German family. I note that one name includes the word Graf. I always understood that stood for a Duke in German ? Perhaps they have a family link to one ?

You rightly point out that the mystery is whose uniform is he wearing ? Only the buttons might give a hint - but, even on enlargement I can't make out any details ?

Mervyn,

Graf is the German equivalent of Count, a duke is a Herzog.