News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Since I collect medals and decorations, always I have surprised why, frequently, rarer decorations are, nevertheless, cheaper than others more common.

For example, a Albrechtsorden (knight 2nd class with swords) it's more expensive than a Silver Medal of the Military Order of St. Henry: both are Saxon awards,

both are bravery awards, the SAO for lieutenants and the SHM for enlisted and NCO. Nevertheless, the SHM is a bit scarcer than the SAO

Other example more "extreme", during the first world war, are awarded aprox. 3800 bavarian MVK 2nd class with crown and swords for senior NCO's,

and aprox. 24000 bavarian MVO 4th class for lieutnants. The MVO is much more common, but also it's more expensive.

Which is the reason of this?...maybe, the collectors prefer the enameled decorations?, prefer the awards for officiers?....

Edited by palencia

Since I collect medals and decorations, always I have surprised why, frequently, rarer decorations are, nevertheless, cheaper than others more common.

For example, a Albrechtsorden (knight 2nd class with swords) it's more expensive than a Silver Medal of the Military Order of St. Henry: both are Saxon awards,

both are bravery awards, the SAO for lieutenants and the SHM for enlisted and NCO. Nevertheless, the SHM is a bit scarcer than the SAO

Other example more "extreme", during the first world war, are awarded aprox. 3800 bavarian MVK 2nd class with crown and swords for senior NCO's,

and aprox. 24000 bavarian MVO 4th class for lieutnants. The MVO is much more common, but also it's more expensive.

Which is the reason of this?...maybe, the collectors prefer the enameled decorations?, prefer the awards for officiers?....

Dear Palencia:

You have made an excellent point. It does seem that collectors prefer the lure of enamel. I believe that a possible explanation is that newer collectors are drawn to what looks nicer and that therefore a higher value is placed upon such items by dealers as they are more sought after.

Rarity is sadly sometimes not a factor which determines the value of an object. Look at the 1914 EKII collector's market. Now such items are collected by maker with pieces by certain makers bringing premium prices. With MILLIONS of awards, I don't understand it. I remember being able to buy all of the 1914 EKII's that I wanted for US$15 each. This of course was awhile ago, but to me, (in my mind anyway) they are ALL still worth this amount! I will always be able to find one whenever I need one.

Best regards,

"SPM"

But the EK is an iconic symbol, recognized at a glance by millions of people. Other, higher and rarer awards just don't have that recognition.

PS- I'm always looking for $15 EKs. :whistle: