News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

A named Sudan Distinguished Service medal in a group

sabrigade

This is a recent purchase of a very different group of medals that was found in the Sudan.

The group includes the Governor General's General Service Medal of 1933, the Sudanese Distinguished Service Order and a NAMED Governor General's Distinguished Service Medal.

Wil,

Very nice indeed - good to see the post 1956 DSO is correct for the period with the rhino suspension - I've not seen this issue before although the later Democratic Republic of Sudan issue with the crane.or secretary bird is not uncommon - both are, I believe of Spink manufacture. I suspect the Governor General series might be from the Royal Mint but this needs to be confirmed - if indeed the Royal Minit did make them there should be records of how many of each were made and when.

Regards,

Owain

Will,

According to the DRS protocol "this order shall be awarded to officers of the People's Arrmed Forces, Police and Prison Officers with variations in ribbons identifying each Force according to the conditions prescribed by the regulations of each Force". Not particularly clear but I would suspect that length of service and meritorious service re key elements in being awarded the DSO. The Original issue appear to be all silver while the DRC issue is of gilt with a silvered central disc.

Regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme