News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Army Civil War Medal (group)

Hello all I thought I would add a small write up on a family medal group. Trooper Jacob Peart, Company D, 7th Illinois Cavalry Volunteers, 2nd Brigade, 5th Division (Orange), Wilson's Cavalry Corp, Union Army (Served 8 March 1865 to 11 Oct 1865 - sick in hospital - Malaria Fever). He was 42 years old when he joined the Army. This issued (1975) Army Civil War medal was issued to his granddaughter the late Mrs. Jenny (Peart) Sedwick (My wife's great Aunt). I helped her apply for the medal, and she later (before she died) gave the medal, transmittal box, and award document to My wife an I. Please note the display is being redone to add a Grand Army of the Republic Members badge and a new copy of Wilson's Corp badge. Enjoy Cheers Captain Albert

Current Display

Award/Transmittal Document

I have never seen an issued/awarded Civil War Campaign medal. Are there any stats to show the number of these awarded? There could not have been too many, since the war was over 110 years before it was created.

Paul R., No I do not think there have been that many awarded. The Medal (number originals) started being awarded in 1905 (40 years after the War - and mostly to Military men and those in the "Know"). This Award/Transmittal document has "007146" stamped on the bottom, and a 901 in the upper part - I do not know if either is a serial number. It is interesting that the form states "engraved" medal, but it came plain. I had the engraving done to save some history for the future. It is too bad that we have not been able to find a picture of Jacob Peart - Maybe some day. Also the medal was in one of those plastic clear cover blue bottom medal display boxes (1970's) - the green spongy stuff decomposes like crazy - one reason why the medal is not in the display box. Well cheers Captain Albert

Edited by army historian