News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

N.A.D. Mystery Item

I have this mystery item that I acquired some years ago from an antique shop in Vermont, U.S.A. This item is in brass, with a copper seamless chain which is about 32 inches long attached to it. The container is 3" wide x 2" high x 7/16" thick. It has capital letters stamped on the front as follows: N.A.D. with a broad arrow or crow's foot. The lid is a separate piece which is about 5/16" high. Over the years when I have shown this mystery item to people at different Canadian Militaria shows I have been told it is a match safe, or a container for calling cards ( I am not convinced this is what it is.) I think that it is a WW1 item that was worn around the neck, maybe. and I have not a clue what N.A.D. stands for, and I even scanned Howard Williamson's book "A Dictionary of Great War Abbreviations" to no avail. I would sure appreciate any feedback on this one. Thanks[attachmentid=308]

Interesting. The arrow usually indicates British Proof Mark but is it in this case ? Possibly NAD are initials with an arrow to show what way up the box should be on opening ?

• 1 month later...
    Guest nelson

shot in the dark, but the arrow certainly seems british, but was thinking it might be for something like detonators. think the chain is a bit OTT for just matches, but with the british officer maybe not, along with hid groom, bat man and silver dinner service biggrin.gif

Guest luckyoldpig

I have this mystery item that I acquired some years ago from an antique shop in Vermont, U.S.A. This item is in brass, with a copper seamless chain which is about 32 inches long attached to it.  The container is 3" wide x 2" high x 7/16" thick.  It has capital letters stamped on the front as follows: N.A.D. with a broad arrow or crow's foot. The lid is a separate piece which is about 5/16" high.  Over the years when I have shown this mystery item to people at different Canadian Militaria shows I have been told it is a match safe, or a container for calling cards ( I am not convinced this is what it is.) I think that it is a WW1 item that was worn around the neck, maybe. and I have not a clue what N.A.D. stands for, and I even scanned Howard Williamson's book "A Dictionary of Great War Abbreviations" to no avail. I would sure appreciate any feedback on this one.  Thanks[attachmentid=308]

I am not sure what this item is but N.A.D. stands for Naval Ammunition Depot & the arrow is the standard logo for UK government property, particularly military, I don't know if the logo is still bieng used but it certainly was during WW1 WW11 & in the 1960s

Perhaps it is a sparkproof holder for matches or small imflammables taken into the ammunition depot

Guest luckyoldpig

I have come across an identical container on ebay UK it ended today & fetched only 7.16 english pounds the owner also didn't know what it was & received no member feedback enlightening him, if you wish to view the item go to any ebay site & in the top right hand corner there is a box titled "search" type in the item number 5584012368