News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bavarian MVK 2nd class (by Hemmerle) looks good! But i'm not sure about the LS cross for 24 years - shouldn't there be a cross for 15 years instead?

Why?! The 24 and 40 year crosses were for officers and NCOs, while the 15 year cross was for EMs/NCOs only. So the 24 cross matches well, if he was in service that long.

But there's missing an award - probably the Nazi German 40 years award for officials. These are often missing on bars, possibly due to the huge black enemaled swastika.

Edited by saschaw

Why?! The 24 and 40 year crosses were for officers and NCOs, while the 15 year cross was for EMs/NCOs only. So the 24 cross matches well, if he was in service that long.

But there's missing an award - probably the Nazi German 40 years award for officials. These are often missing on bars, possibly due to the huge black enemaled swastika.

Then OK, I did not know that officers and NCOs actually shared 24- and 40-years cross. I thought the split was strictly: EM & NCO - 9,12,15 years, and Officers - 24,40 years.

Edited by avadski

Congratulations on obtaining a very nice and unusual medal bar! :cheers:

I too think that the missing medal would be the 40 Year Faithful Service Decoration.

What is the third medal?

Best wishes

Matt

It's Bavarian Goldene Hochzeits-Jubiläumsmedaille. Some 2711 pieces awarded.

I think Number 7 is a Bulgarian Combatant award?

That's Bulgarian St. Alexander order 6th class. I'm not sure if the swords really mean "combatant" or only award during wartime, and/or award to military person. It was always awarded on red ribbon, not "usual" Bulgarian war ribbon (light blue with silver edges).

That's Bulgarian St. Alexander order 6th class. I'm not sure if the swords really mean "combatant" or only award during wartime, and/or award to military person. It was always awarded on red ribbon, not "usual" Bulgarian war ribbon (light blue with silver edges).

From what I've seen, this is most likely a peace time award to military person. Makes sense in this nice NCO grouping.

The Silver Cross of the Order of St. Alexander, with surmounting swords (swords "am ring") was for acts of courage in peacetime. The last medal is the Spanish Silver Cross of the Order of Military Merit, so there was no enamel on these. It uses the arms of Spain that were in use from about 1871 through 1931 (along with the royal crown of the same period).

Interesting combination of awards with the notable absence of even an Iron Cross. Perhaps a minor diplomatic functionary in his early life and too old to be near the sound of the guns in 1914.

The Silver Cross of the Order of St. Alexander, with surmounting swords (swords "am ring") was for acts of courage in peacetime. The last medal is the Spanish Silver Cross of the Order of Military Merit, so there was no enamel on these. It uses the arms of Spain that were in use from about 1871 through 1931 (along with the royal crown of the same period).

Interesting combination of awards with the notable absence of even an Iron Cross. Perhaps a minor diplomatic functionary in his early life and too old to be near the sound of the guns in 1914.

Thank you very much for this information about the ribbon bar. Really very interesting combination of awards.....

The Order of St. Alexander, with surmounting swords (swords "am ring") was awarded for merits (non real-combatant merits) in WAR TIME ......