News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

interesting MSM but a question or 2!

picked up this lovely MSM from a dealers website and while researching the MSM i found that actually its quite a under appreciated award considering just over 26k (immediate MSMs)of them were awarded in ww1 versus 115k of the MM! but my question is on the rank

its named to S/4697 Temp Sub Conductor J McGaffney R.A.O.C , the rank is a unusual one, how long would the temp rank be held for as it seems he had this through most of his service in France then if his MIC is correct through to his service in Iraq(the MIC quotes he has a GSM with Iraq clasp) the other question is while i have his MSM card i cant found out why it was awarded!from what iv read most MSM didnt actually have a citation so would this be the case as well?

and finally one question on the ROAC is there any site i can find to show where it was in France and Iraq??or is the fact its a ordnance corps means its to big to find a specific unit??!

ANY help would be greatly appreciated! :beer:

Just a guess, but on the not-so-temporary rank, here;s a theory: an NCO, filling what is essentially Warrant Officer's rank because he has the experience, knowledge and initiative to fill a kept appointment, but lacks the education [or perhaps unblemished record] to meet the formal requirements for permanent stsus in the rank.

Or, a way to get him the pay and prestige of a Sub-Conductor when there was no space on the table of organization for another Sub-C.

My thruppence worth :D

Peter

could be but i found out on the british awards and decorations form he was discharged a sergeant in 1922!!would it be normal

thats again!! :beer: for the that to happen with a rank like that?

Sounds right his discharge paper would give his final substantive rank.

Paul