News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

UK/US Gas Mask? - Identify this uniform

Can you tell how many buttons/button holes he has on his uniform? I can't see to well on the screen (the optician reckons I need glasses).

I don't know much about gas masks, could he be Belgian in a late war uniform?

Tony

Can you tell how many buttons/button holes he has on his uniform? I can't see to well on the screen (the optician reckons I need glasses).

I don't know much about gas masks, could he be Belgian in a late war uniform?

Tony

I think the Belgians had French masks... this looks like a US/UK mask

• 8 months later...

And no clue from which collection it came?

My guts say, judging on the sandy environment, a pic from a British victim from the Operation Strandfest area (Belgian coast July 1917)...

• 4 weeks later...

The mask is definately UK/US

does it look like his jacket has a collar to it? Looking at the photo, if I trace up the seam, it looks like there is an open collar flap right behind his head. The Yanks were using a closed choker collar rather than the British open collar. I would bet my money he is British or Commonwealth.

He also looks to have suspenders on. Again, more standard Commonwealth I have found than American

Edited by Chris Liontas