News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Just added: Tyrolian Mobilisation Medal, 1797

Owen

A new one for my collection - a silver medal issued *by Emperor Franz II) to non commissioned officers and enlisted men, for their part in defending the Tyrol from French invasion. Medal is 39mm diameter and sadly without its ribbon.

I believe that the medal was also issued in a gold version for officers and in iron for non combatants:

HeadSide-1.jpg

DateSide.jpg

All the information I have comes from the following very informative websites (so, I won't repeat their content here), which I am sure most of you will be familiar with :

http://www.antiquesatoz.com/napoleon/ausnapms.htm

http://gen.declercq.free.fr/phaleristique/new%20pages/AUTRICHE.htm

Hello,

this very interesting medal was awarded to soldiers and non commissioned officers of the tyrolean troops in silver (like your piece); in gold (smaller size) to officers and also in gold (of larger size) to corps commanders (the medals in gold are extremely rare...).

Best wishes,

E.L.

Hello,

this very interesting medal was awarded to soldiers and non commissioned officers of the tyrolean troops in silver (like your piece); in gold (smaller size) to officers and also in gold (of larger size) to corps commanders (the medals in gold are extremely rare...).

Best wishes,

E.L.

Dear Elmar,

Many thanks for adding your knowledge. I fear that the Commanders gold medal might be outside my collecting budget!

Kind regards,

Owen

the Silver Medals for Tyrol, 1797, when in very fine condition, can have a value of approx. 200,-/250,- $

Small and large gold medals are difficult to be estimated, due to their rarity.

Best wishes,

E.L.

Edited by Elmar Lang