News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Remnants of Saddam Hussein’s Artillery Pieces

Guest IMHF

This rust bucket here is a ZU 23-2 it has two 23mm auto cannons. I am not sure how many of these the Iraqis had in their arsenal, the Iraqis not only used this as an anti aircraft gun they also used this piece as a direct fire weapon. It was fired directly at troops and light armor vehicles; it had a 2.5 kilometer range which mulled down anything in its way.

Lorenzo

Here is a front view looking down the 23mm barrels of the ZU 23-2 rust bucket.

Lorenzo

• Replies 115
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice photo's The first 2 vehicles are MTLB's and not BMP's.

Thank you for the help on the true identity; now that I look at the height of the hull it is a MTLB.

Thank you

Lorenzo

Here is a top view of the mystery anti aircraft gun piece.

Lorenzo

I think this might be German manufactured, it reminds me of an anti.aircraft piece the British captured in the Falkland war against Argentina and on display at the Imperial War Museum in London, must have look through my photo albums and see if I can locate the pictures for comparison.

Kevin in Deva. :cheers:

Here are some of my photos

Joe

Joe

That is a very nice shot of a T-72 what year was this image taken and where. Thank you for adding to the collection of images here in this thread.

Lorenzo

Lorenzo:

I took the photos 2004-2005. The T-72s were on the road between Camp Victory and BIAP (Baghdad International Airport). We stopped, climbed over all the concertina wire around the tanks and explored them. They were in bad shape.

Joe

Edited by JSlavick

Another

I know this set of tanks quite well Joe! They are located on what was called Camp Slayer in 2003-04, not sure if it is still being used as such... I have a crewman's helmet from one of these and a few photo's as well. They are on film, so I will have to scan them when I get time. Very nice pics, thanks for sharing. Scott.

Lorenzo:

I took the photos 2004-2005. The T-72s were on the road between Camp Victory and BIAP (Baghdad International Airport). We stopped, climbed over all the concertina wire around the tanks and explored them. They were in bad shape.

Joe

Just a side note. They were partially buried not long after the ground war ended as they were hit with DU and troops were always climbing on and around them. The pics I have show them with DU written on the sides for everyone to see. Scott.

Also the hull is longer and the rear doors are square where as the BMP has a round corner on the upper outside corner.

I think this is a rear door of a BMP, I can't remember now... Anyhow, it will look good in this thread. Scott.

2107149130105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

I think this is a rear door of a BMP, I can't remember now... Anyhow, it will look good in this thread. Scott.

2107149130105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

I really like the insignia on the armored cover!!

Lorenzo

Not artillery, but here is a monument that was near the Green Zone in Baghdad. I really liked the look of this one and have often wondered if it survived and what exactly it was for. My guess would be the Iran War, but it could be Desert Storm as well. Scott.

2251643370105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

Not artillery, but here is a monument that was near the Green Zone in Baghdad. I really liked the look of this one and have often wondered if it survived and what exactly it was for. My guess would be the Iran War, but it could be Desert Storm as well. Scott.

2251643370105252184S600x600Q85.jpg

Scott

When I was in the Green Zone in 2005-06 it was still there and intact :cheers: Love this one, wish I could put it in my livingroom..:speechless:

Lorenzo

Scott

When I was in the Green Zone in 2005-06 it was still there and intact :cheers: Love this one, wish I could put it in my livingroom..:speechless:

Lorenzo

You must have one very large living room :P Glad to hear it is still standing. Scott.

Iraqi Army Command Battle System is composed of:

1 - Baghdad Operations Command

2 - Amuriyah Operations Command

3 - Qaqaa Forces Command

4 - Salah al-Din Forced Command

5 - Mansour Forces Command

6 - Faruq Forces Command

7 - Siddeek Forces Command

8 - Hussein Forces Command

9 - Saad ForcesCommand

10 - Hamza Forces Command

11 - Mohammed al-Qassim Forces Command

12 - Abu Obeida Forces Command

13 - Babel Battalions

14 - Thi Qar Battalions

15 - Special-Operations Command

The insignia on the Track Vehicle is from the 3 - Qaqaa Forces Command

Thank you for Viewing

Lorenzo

Iraqi Army Command Battle System is composed of:

1 - Baghdad Operations Command

2 - Amuriyah Operations Command

3 - Qaqaa Forces Command

4 - Salah al-Din Forced Command

5 - Mansour Forces Command

6 - Faruq Forces Command

7 - Siddeek Forces Command

8 - Hussein Forces Command

9 - Saad ForcesCommand

10 - Hamza Forces Command

11 - Mohammed al-Qassim Forces Command

12 - Abu Obeida Forces Command

13 - Babel Battalions

14 - Thi Qar Battalions

15 - Special-Operations Command

The insignia on the Track Vehicle is from the 3 - Qaqaa Forces Command

Thank you for Viewing

Lorenzo

Great piece of info Lorenzo, thanks for posting it! Scott.

Just a side note. They were partially buried not long after the ground war ended as they were hit with DU and troops were always climbing on and around them. The pics I have show them with DU written on the sides for everyone to see. Scott.

Scott:

Urgg....I didn't know they were hit with DU. That is probably why they had razor wire around them! Had I known they were DU hot, I certainly would have stayed off of them. Cool that you were able to get a crewman's helmet from one of them.

Joe

• 1 month later...