News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Zambia

ilja559

Hello Gents.

Find this photo in internet.

May be somebody can id medals.

The second medal is Air force Brawery medal (http://gmic.co.uk/index.php/topic/41237-zambia-air-force-bravery-award/page__p__381220__hl__zambia__fromsearch__1#entry381220).

Regards.

Ilja

USAF Colonel receives presidential honors in Zambia - Zambian President Rupiah Banda awards Col. Keith Andrews the President's Medal of Gallantry May 25 for the rescue of two Zambian women in the Zambezi River at Victoria Falls a year earlier. Andrews was visiting the area as part of a U.S. Air Force Air War College regional study program tour. (Photo by Staff Sgt. Amanda McCarty, U.S. Africa Command). Unable to see a date for the award. Here is the link to the high resolution image: http://www.osan.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/100525-F-1234M-002.jpg

Jean-Paul

Hello Gentlemen,Zambia & also Ghana are 2 countries from which it is very difficult to get medals.

I have been able to "re-compose" the group of medals to this Officer (re-sizing pictures from medal I own and from medals files I host in my computer).

From left to right :

Zambia Defense Force Proficiency Medal

Zambia Air Force Medal of Courage

Zambia Air Force Commissioned Service Medal

Zambia Defense Force Operations Medal

Later on I will post pictures of medals separated ( I own the Zambia Air Force Courage & the Zambia Operation medal). I have the Proficiency medal but with a different ribbon.The problem is that some dealer in South Africa put "fantasy ribbon" on these medal to sell them easier.

The sash is the Distinguished Service Order grade of Grand Commander ( G.C.D.S. )

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here is a Member of the Distinguished Service Order.Of course the officer above is wearing a higher class.

The first version of the Distinguished Service Order of Zambia had the effigy of First President Kenneth Kaunda in center.After 1991 all Medals & Orders with Kenneth Kaunda have seen his effigy replaced by Coat of Arms.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Zambia Distinguished Service Order 1st Type (1965-91).It's an Officer Class (Officer class is a bronze neck badge).

All Zambia Orders have been instituted by Law 347/1965 of 23 october 1965 (1 year after Independence).

The Distinguished Service Order is the 4th highest Order of Zambia.

This 4 Classes Order has a Grand Commander (G.C.D.S.) with a gilt sash badge & a gilt breast star and a Grand Officer (G.O.D.S.) with a silvered neck badge & a silver breast star.

Officer (O.D.S.) is a similar size to Grand Officer neck badge but in bronze.

Member(M.D.S.) is a lower size bronze breast badge.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

This is the Zambia Air Force Commissioned Service Medal (the medal presented here is a miniature,but the proportion are correct).

The Army of Zambia has its own Commissioned Service Medal (different with a cow on obverse).

Emmanuel

Here is a mix lot of Zambia medal that was auctioned in London in june 2004.I was there but this lot of 20 awards (there is a 2nd file) went to high that day (700 Pounds + 15 %).

First at left : Military Cross (suspension swivel)

Second from left : Zambia Air Force Commissioned Service Medal

Third from left : I just remember on reverse it was written "For Bravery in the Field"

The last at right on bottom row is : Zambia Defense Force Star for Distinguished Service (suspension swivel).I have a later type of this decoration (not british made,and suspension doesn't swivel).

On the upper row the medal with the green ribbon is Zambia Police Meritorious Service Medal 1st Type ( 1964-91).After 1991 the effigy of Kenneth Kaunda was replaced by the Coat of Arms,but ribbon remain the same.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

The 2 identical medal on upper row are : Zambia Police Long Service & Good Conduct Medal (exist only in bronze)

The first from left on bottom row : Zambia Army Long Service & Good Conduct Medal (suspension swivel).

The 2nd from left is : Zambia Defense Force Proficiency Medal (suspension swivel,but the one I have in my collection is a later striking on which suspension doesn't swivel).

The last on bottom row is : Zambia Army Commissioned Service Medal.

Emmanuel

This medal also exist : Zambia Police Distinguished Service Medal.The suspension swivel on that one,so it's an old one,but I'am not sure it's the correct ribbon.

For some awards like the Army LSGC Medal zambia kept the same ribbon as UK,but this ribbon is similar to the british Police DSM,but narrower.

If anyone has more info,help is appreciated.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

But to my opinion,the most unusual is this : Zambia National Award for Excellence in Science & Technology.....

High quality strike.....and it's a true story in the 70ies Kenneth Kaunda had really launched a Zambia Space Program !!! They really have begun to train astronaut,matching G Machice by ordering peole to enter in barrel and then barrel were launched from a hill to run and run.

This program was fast ended.

That's Africa.

Emmanuel

Another seldom seen award from Zambia is the Insignia of Honour.It's a kind of Civil Commendation.

It's named on reverse to John Owen-Wallen and dated 24.10.1968.

John Owen-Wallen was an engineer from Ndola,who in 1931 founded Northern Rhodesia Lime Company Limited (after Independence renamed Ndola Lime Company Limited : NLC ).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here you can see the 3 Long Service & Good Conduct Medal from the 3 services.

At right : Army LSGC

In the middle : Air Force LSGC

At left : Police LSGC

The Army LSGC & Police LSGC are of the 1st striking from the second half of the sixties.High quality striking and suspension swivel.The Police one's is named.

The Air Force one is a later striking from the 90ies and is 10 to 15 % bigger.The suspension on the Air Force LSGC I own doesn't swivel.

I hope that other members will post their medals or picture they host in their computer like I do.

Emmanuel

• 2 weeks later...

But to my opinion,the most unusual is this : Zambia National Award for Excellence in Science & Technology.....

High quality strike.....and it's a true story in the 70ies Kenneth Kaunda had really launched a Zambia Space Program !!! They really have begun to train astronaut,matching G Machice by ordering peole to enter in barrel and then barrel were launched from a hill to run and run.

This program was fast ended.

http://www.lusakatimes.com/2011/01/28/space-program/

That's Africa.

Emmanuel

• 2 years later...
    • 1 month later...

Hello Gentlemen,

I was recently able to purchase this Zambia Army Meritorious Service Medal.

It's painted flag in center (not enamel), but suspension swivel,and it's relatively heavy (50 grammes with ribbon and suspension device).

Years ago I miss a lot of Zambia Medals in an auction in London. Among this lot was an earlier version of the Meritorious Service Medal (with enamel flag) and a different ribbon.

All constructive comment are welcome.

Emmanuel