News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KENYA MEDAL LIST

heusy68

Hello Gentlemen,I will here do my best to list the Decoration & Medals from the Republic of Kenya (on another post I will do the Orders).Since its Independence on 12 december 1963 Kenya has seen major changes but only 3 President :

Jomo Kenyatta who died in office on august 1978

Daniel Arap Moi ( 1978-2002)

Mwai Kibaki (2002- )

Here I present the highest Kenya Gallantry award,the Uhodari Medal.

It's a real silver cross and it is awaded for conspicious gallantry or self sacrifice by military & police.

The reverse is blank.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here is the Distinguished Service Medal.Again it exist a type with Daniel Arap Moi on reverse & a type with Coat of Arms on reverse.

This medal was awarded for exceptionnal distinguished service,acts of valor,or devotion to duty by members of the Armed Forces regardeless of rank.

Emmanuel

Here we have the Kenya : Long Service & Good Conduct for the Armed Forces.

As you can see it exist a type with Jomo Kenyatta and another one with Daniel Arap Moi.

Since Arap Moi left Presidency in 2002,I have no idea which type of medal is given nowdays for long service.If someone really know,he's welcome to post here.

For my own collection I'am looking for the Kenyatta version of this medal.

Emmanuel

This medal is the Independence Medal of Kenya,but shortly after Independence in december 1963,incident outbreak at the border with Somalia with several skirmishes.

British Troops stationed in Kenya have helped the new Kenya Aramy to push out the somali forces out of the territory of Kenya.When this medal was awarded for such action a rosette was worn on ribbon.

This medal is sometimes found on british groups.

Emmanuel

Here it's an interesting medal.The Harambree Medal .

It seems that nobody agree for which or what this medal was given for. Some said it is a medal for agriculture because of the corn on its reverse....but on the first picture this medal is mounted on last position on a veteran bar with a local made rosette.So,if someboday can help,he's most welcome.

Harambree is the National Motto of Kenya and means : " Go Ahead ,all Together "

I was later able to buy a version produced in Germany by Drechsler and which looks different (on its reverse just the letters H.M. )

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Kenya issued also a long serie of Commemorative Medal for the independence Commemoration & also for the Funeral of the First President Jomo Kenyatta.

The one on right hand side is the 10 Years Independence Commemorative Medal

The one on left hand side is Jomo Kenyatta Memorial Medal issued after he passed away while he was in Office.

I have no information if this Memorial Medal was awarded to all Armed Force Members who were on service that day (I mean in all the country) or only to those who were on duty during the State Funeral .

if someone know,he's most welcome to lights us.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here we have the Commemorative Medal issued by President Daniel Arap Moi for his Installattion as 2nd President of the Republic of Kenya on 14 october 1978.

And the inauguration of what was the Nyayo Era (Arap Moi Presidency).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here are some of the Commemorative Medal issued during the Presidency of Arap Moi.

The one at left is for the 20th Anniversary of Independence 1983

This medal exist also with the bar "Uhuru 1963-1988" for the 25th Anniversary of Independence (same ribbon).

The one at right for the 20 th Anniversary at Presidency in 1998.

On the reverse of that one you can read : " Twenty Great Years of Nyayo era"

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Here you can see a very good and detailed picture we would like to see more often from General.

You can see General Jeremiah Kianga E.G.H.,C.B.S.(Kenya Army Chief of Staff ) with all his commemorative medal.Almost all that I have posted picture above (except one).....the one with purple ribbon (2nd from right).

As the last from right is for 20 th Anniversary of President Arap Moi as President of Kenya,I guess the one with purple ribbon is for his 15th Anniversary at the Presidency of Kenya.

I remember having seen this medal in dealer list,but if someone own this medal,he's welcome to post it.

the beautiful breast star General Kianga is wearing is the Breast star of Chief Burning Spear (the 2nd highest Kenya Order).

I will do a post on this Order in a few minutes.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Excellent research, Emmanuel! Many thanks once again. Even in Nairobi it is very difficult, if not impossible, to find this information. Are these medals Spink or Gerrard manufacture [Long Service & Good Conduct for the Armed Forces ribbon looks like recycled Iraqi Rafadhain military ribbon!]

In an auction in 2008,I was able to buy this strange medal from Kenya,but I have not a real accurate information about this medal.And I never saw it on the breast of a kenyan officer.

It's a large medal 45 millimeters in diameter with on its obverse side the sun rising from the back of the Mount Kenya and near the rim a chain broken-up by the date 1963.

Of course the chain symbolise colonialism and 1963 is the date of Independence.

On the reverse the letters U.C.M. U for Uhuru I guess.

This medal was also manufactured by Drechsler from Munchen in the late 70ies.

If anyone has more ACCURATE information he's most welcome.But please don't write that you don't know,it's senseless.

Emmanuel

There is a thrid ranking Order of Kenya, the Order of the Great Warrior ( O.G.W. ) .

I spend night & nights to research on internet and even if I was able to found lots of data concerning th eOrder of the Great Warrior,and that a lot have been given ( a few hundreds), I was never able to get the photo of the Order pinned on his(or her) breast.

I guess it is this insignia (reverse is blank).

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68

Frankly speaking I don't rememeber where's this pic from :)

This picture is certianly NOT a lower class of the Burning Spear.Even if you don't remember from where you get it.

Several dealer worldwide got this medal,almost always without ribbon.

But the ribbon I have for it is THE correct one.

ELM from Singapore manufactured it for the Government of Kenya,and there is a frame in their factory.This medal which I bought in the Aldershot Medal Fair in May 2004 is mounted with the ribbon I got from them 3 years later.

By the way dealers like the one mentioned by Ilja above ABSOLUTELY don't care about to be accurate or not.The main thing is to put a name on something rather than to say : "unknown".It's always hard to sell something which is "unknown" and from a commercial point of view it doesn't fit.

So please STOP to always refers on dealers list as if they were GOD !!!!!! They are very far from being .

We now have used 4 post just to say nothing.It's childlike attitude. Just because the largest UK dealer said so.

On this forum we all of us should behave a bit more clever and try to write replies than could bring some knowledge into light.

Emmanuel

Edited by heusy68