News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

KENYA MEDAL LIST

heusy68

• 8 months later...

In an auction in 2008,I was able to buy this strange medal from Kenya,but I have not a real accurate information about this medal.And I never saw it on the breast of a kenyan officer.

It's a large medal 45 millimeters in diameter with on its obverse side the sun rising from the back of the Mount Kenya and near the rim a chain broken-up by the date 1963.

Of course the chain symbolise colonialism and 1963 is the date of Independence.

On the reverse the letters U.C.M. U for Uhuru I guess.

This medal was also manufactured by Drechsler from Munchen in the late 70ies.

If anyone has more ACCURATE information he's most welcome.But please don't write that you don't know,it's senseless.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel,

I have given copies of the photos of this medal to my Kenyan Army liaison officer and asked him to find out what it is. He didn't recognise the meadal but his first guess was that it might be linked to Kisoi Munyao's ascent of Mount Kenya in 1963 when he raised the newly independent Kenya’s National flag on the summit.

He made a couple of phone calls to get some concrete information on the medal but came up blank. He has taken the photos away for checking elsewhere. Fingers crossed for some real information at a later date.

I'll also run the images by some older Kenyan ex-military.

I'll keep you informed.

Here you can see a very good and detailed picture we would like to see more often from General.

You can see General Jeremiah Kianga E.G.H.,C.B.S.(Kenya Army Chief of Staff ) with all his commemorative medal.Almost all that I have posted picture above (except one).....the one with purple ribbon (2nd from right).

As the last from right is for 20 th Anniversary of President Arap Moi as President of Kenya,I guess the one with purple ribbon is for his 15th Anniversary at the Presidency of Kenya.

I remember having seen this medal in dealer list,but if someone own this medal,he's welcome to post it.

the beautiful breast star General Kianga is wearing is the Breast star of Chief Burning Spear (the 2nd highest Kenya Order).

I will do a post on this Order in a few minutes.

Emmanuel

Emmanuel,

I have a copy of the medal with the purple ribbon in a group of 5. It is in fact the commemorative medal for the 25th anniversary of independence. On the reverse is the Kenyan coat of arms and the teaxt "MIAKA ISHIRINI NA TANO YA UHURU" then "AMANI" on the left of the coat of arms and "UFANSI" on the right with the date "12 DEC 63 - 12 DEC 88" underneath.

Of course I am making the assumption that the medal is mounted on the right ribbon!

I'll try to find the right technology to enable me to post a photo - not always readily available where I am.

Tim

Tim,

Good to read that you are now tracking Kenyan awards - hopefully with you being on the ground you will be able to enlighten us further on such awards and fill in some of the gaps. With the current Kenyan Army forays into Somalia there may be a new medal issued?

Regards,

Owain

• 11 months later...
    • 7 years later...
    • 3 months later...