News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello, I have a great interest in collecting memorabilia to the GSWA campaign particularly to that of the 1st SAMR that were involved in the Battle of Sandfontein of 26th September 1914 and of GSWA campaign. I have so far managed to find 3 confirmed First War medal/s recipients that were present and captured at the battle, as follows RFM H.D. BERRY, CPL BURT, CPL J. HARDING, all of these have been confirmed from medal rolls researched by Audrey Portman. I also have a 1914-15 star to the brother of Walter Carl Kobus who was mortally wounded at the battle and is now buried at Warmbad Cemetery. From that one medal I found that there were four Kobus brothers, all were involved in the First World War, 3 served in the 1st SAMR with prior service to the Cape Mounted Rifles, the other served in the SA Engineering Corps, the youngest was Walter Kobus and the eldest brother Bernhard Robert Kobus 1st SAMR died of influenza in 1918, now buried in Windhoek. I will post photos of the medals at a later date and I would be very interested to hear from anyone that has a similar field in collecting GSWA and GEA campaigns

Edited by umvotimr

Hello

I'm particularly interested in the Piet Retief Commando at Tsumeb in GSWA, 1915. My special interest is Sjt DAVIDSON, D.C.M.,a New Zealander who stayed on in SA after serving in the Boer Wars.

Any specific info greatly appreciated.

Hello : to anyone interested in the GSWA campaing and the rebellion i suggests the lecture of the book My vanished Africa .author : Peter W Rainier , a south african who took part in the campaign . he destines a part of the book to the war . he took part as a enlisted man but near the commander of the force General Duncan Mackenzie an old friend of Rainier s father . The author expones well the particular character of the SA army of those years .GSWA campaign was a mounted cavalry one but with wide use of mechanical transport . The book is available at Amazon . Rainier in WW2 was a major Royal Engineers if i am not missed , and responsable of the water supply for the 8th army .he constructed a pipeline to secure that supply .He wrote incirca 1945 an article for the Readers Digest about the water pipeline and saids that when the line was still in proof a german advance captured a section of the pipe and the thirsty soldiers of Rommel drilled holes and in great number drinked the water post facto they got ill because the water was  salt water . Rainier says that he never wasted drinkable water to proof a pipeline . In consequence , appears as he contributed to the victory of El Alamein .