News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Pre -1994 South African Police Uniform

ocpd71

For the pre-1994 SA Police uniform, what type of holster was carried on the brown leather Sam Browne belt? Also, what was the standard issue sidearm during the 1970s -1980s period? And this question pertains to the dress blue uniform, not the camouflage uniform. Thanks in advance for any responses!

• 4 months later...

For the pre-1994 SA Police uniform, what type of holster was carried on the brown leather Sam Browne belt? Also, what was the standard issue sidearm during the 1970s -1980s period? And this question pertains to the dress blue uniform, not the camouflage uniform. Thanks in advance for any responses!

We carried a brown leather holster worn on the left side, and backwards for a draw with the right hand. In 1983 I was issued with a Walther P38, 8 shot pistol. The uniform I wore mostly was the heavy and thick polyester "safari suit" comprising longs and a short sleeved tunic due to the hot weather where I served. We only wore the full uniform on ceremonial occasions.

I can only add - welcome both of you to GMIC. Rather different that we have a question raised by a new member in New York - and answered by a new member in London.

I hope that your question has now been answered ocpd ? We will be pleased to hear from both of you about yourselves and any collections you may have. I am guessing ocpd that you are a serving officer ? One note - we try to use first names amongst ourselves - more friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply! It was exactly the information I needed.

My current collecting "project" is putting together a complete SA police uniform. Thus far I have manged to put together the dress blue cap, blue long sleeve tunic, collar and shoulder brass, Sam Browne belt w/ cross strap, and the P-38 pistol. Im still trying to find the trousers and correct holster for the uniform. I am also keeping my eye out for the blue short sleeve "safari" jacket. Old South African Police items are very hard to come across here in the States, so if you know of any collectors' resources, id be glad to here it.

Also, was there a name plate or any other emblems other than the collar insignia and SAP shoulder titles worn on the dress tunic?

Thanks again for all the information.

-Jeff

P.S. -Yes, I am a serving law enforcement officer here in NY state.

• 4 months later...

Hi

A name badge was worn, initially just a gold/silver plate with name in Blue/black, later including old SA flag. later on some wore swat, shooting or other qualification badges

If you are still in the market for SAP items I can have a look for trousers and an ysterbaadjie when I go back in December.....

I have lots of old uniforms. Unfortunately not a p38 holster. Was thinking of putting sap slangvel (jump smock) 2nd camo pattern on e-bay!

As a matter of interest, my first service weapon was a S&W 38, followed by walter P38, Beretta 92F and Z88. Beretta was my favorite

• 4 weeks later...

I have a spare lead grey SAP safari suit somewhere (it is still sealed in a plastic bag).

I have been trying to piece together information and photos of the earlier SA Police uniforms (i.e. pre 1961) over the past few years. I have extracts from old dress regs etc. but a picture is always worth more. If anyone has nice examples of the older uniforms to post that would be great.

• 3 weeks later...
    • 3 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 months later...

The old SAP summer dress was worn with the SAM Browne and cross strap on a daily basis. It was not the most comfortable uniform to wear in a hot and humid environment. On the lapels of the tunic we also had the small SAP star as is shown in the picture of the winter tunic. In 1980 we were not issued with any name plates.

• 11 months later...

Sorry for the necropost, but I am trying to put together a SAP safari suit uniform. I have the hat, top and trousers. Would this have been worn with a brown sam-browne?

What shoes woud be worn with this? Brown or Black?