News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

WWI era Police Sgts Stripes

Hi all

Now this isnt my area of collecting, but these two patches have recently made it into casa-de-Jewitt.

I assume that they are silver bullion, and appear to be of very high quality. They came with a quantity of WWI pieces, so I took it that they are of theat same period.

Does any one have any information to share?

Dan

Dan,

The two Sergeant stripes, not a pair, you have are just the 'bog' standard issue used by many forces throughout the U.K.

I think the Scottish Police still use them on the dress uniform today. The back view may show more on what age they are but from the front I'd say they are from the 1960's and 70's.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Les

I agree with Les - examples are from two different size sets. The Met. have always used the thinner silver thread style of stripes - perhaps to distinguish from the military. Many of the later Constabularies did use the tape style of the military - and still do so today.

Many members of the public think that a military sergeant has the same powers and duties as his police equivalent. This is not so - a Police Sergeant is far senior in his responsbilities and the only time they really do the same duty is when a patrol sergt. is supervising a number of constables.

**What is the collective noun for a number of constables ? A 'truncheon' of police ? Please make your suggestions here - or, on the post I'm going to start on the Lounge.